Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing Tranction Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:53 AM
gnrpatience
2nd Gear Member

Default Losing Tranction Control

Hello Guys,

I been reading a lot of posts regarding TCS, and my conclusion is that is better to have it on on rain.

Well here in Mexico City its been rainy this season and its been like 3 times i lost control in second gear or making turns, im not running so hard and i saw the alarm led of traction starts blinking when i make change from 1st gear to 2nd gear or if i make a turn while changing gear im losing control so i cant make changes on turns and i dont mean im pushing so hard the accelerator but anyway im losing control.

So i have some questions:

1.- Is this normal on the mustangs, you have to be very careful ?
2.- Im going to drive on highway this weekend and will be rainy, so the speed will be at least 80-90km/h, im afraid i can lose control at that speed....

I own a V8 manual 2007 with C/L CAI + Brenspeed Tune, stock tires

Thanks!!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Is this your first RWD car? I drove nothing but FWD for years until I got into this car. My impression is that RWD is pretty squirelly and you have to be real careful going into and out of turns, especially if you apply power.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

better tires is a huge help but mine will kick in int he rain occasionly if i dont watch my shifts
Old 09-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

This is all pretty basic:

1. I always turn OFF TCS unless it's slick out so yes, I personally DO keep it on in the rain. Our V8 Stangs are a bit light in the back and the backend WILL want to come around, especially with the stock (a.k.a. garbage) tires. Just be cognizant of the conditions and be a feather on the pedals in turns and when accelerating. I have never noticed my TCS light blink, however.

2. Even with my stock BFG tires, I used to (and still) run 70-75 MPH on the highway and never experienced hydroplaning. Simply increase your distance from the guy ahead and be aware of curves and passing situations. No sudden moves either.

And don't forget that when it rains after a prolonged dry spell, the build-up of oil on the roadways, ESPECIALLY AT INTERSECTIONS, will turn the road into a skating rink until the oil residue is washed away. If you've ever slid on wet leaves or ice, you know what it feels like.

Last edited by Nuke; 09-08-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:05 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

tires would definitely make a big difference, but you certainly shouldn't be shifting while going through a turn. otherwise, just take it easy and be careful. rwd takes some getting used to in inclement weather.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:16 PM
gnrpatience
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ink003
tires would definitely make a big difference, but you certainly shouldn't be shifting while going through a turn. otherwise, just take it easy and be careful. rwd takes some getting used to in inclement weather.
Ok thanks for the answers.

I will be carefully under rainy conditions.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:21 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

listen to the guys on here. dont go shifting in turns, esp into 2nd gear. thats the way i wrecked mine. going arounnd a loping turn and shifted into 2nd and she got all sorts of sideways on me. and yes at that time i had tcs permantently turned off. needless to say i sent me tuner to joe at dynospeed and had him turn the tcs back on. now i control when its on or off. be careful in rwd in the rain.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

There's a reason mustangs are popular for drifting events.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:24 PM
VistaStangGT
1st Gear Member

Also, remember this is traction control not skid control. If the backend is swinging out from behind you, TCS isn't going to help. I bet if you floored it in a straight line on wet pavement you'd feel TCS kick in no problem.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:22 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

There is no reason to spin the tires in the rain at all. I am making tons of torque from 2000rpms and up and I have never once spun the tires in the rain by accident. And just for reference I am still on the stock 235/55/17 perilli's.

Not to bash anyone, but I think you need to practice shifting smoothly and applying the throttle slower.

Tires will certainly help, but mostly just focus on being smooth. Your best traction control is between your ears.

Drive Safe.

Quick Reply: Losing Tranction Control