Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiberglass hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:51 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

Default Fiberglass hoods?

Any of you guys have any experience with fiberglass hoods? Someone said they are kind of flimsy and arent very good quality. What do you guys think?

http://cruizinconceptswholesale.com/...RACTOR&cat=309
Old 09-09-2008, 09:23 AM
CruizinConcepts
Former Sponsor

That is a great hood. You will enjoy it. They get shipped insured so if it get damaged during transit we will take care of it.

Let me know if I can do anything for you.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 AM
CruizinConcepts
Former Sponsor

By the way guys, we only have this hood and another on sale this month, as a back to school event. We also have the 2005-2009 RK Shelby GT500 style Hoods Now on sale as well.

Last edited by CruizinConcepts; 09-09-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:21 PM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

they have great customer service so if you had a problem I am sure they would take care of it, that being said fiberglass is not like OEM so it will need prep so dont think you are just going to get a hood and bolt it on, and you need to find a shop that has dealt with fiberglass before so ask around.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:57 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

There is a bit of confusion as to whether the free shipping is for buying the hoods, or if you have to purchase another hood or bodykit. Which does the free shipping apply to?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:29 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

Talking

I bought the RK style hood yesterday. Spent about 30 minutes on the phone with the sales rep. He answered all my questions with regards to fit, finish, warranty, returns, etc.

A couple of things you should know:

1) The hood is gel coated top and under with a black gelcoat finish. This is good, since it should have been prepped some before the gelcoat was applied.

2) The hood does not route fresh air to the airbox area. It is open underneath and only allows air to enter the front and escape through the lovers on top.

3) You cannot attach a hood blanket to the hood since there are no holes for the plastic rivets to pop in. Therefore, it's probably a good idea to get the body shop to finish the underside as well.

4) The hood does not ship for free. It is only free shipping on the second item in a multi-item palletized order. In other words, if you order a body kit, then a hood as a second item would ship for free. If you order a hood, then a body kit as a second item would ship for free. Your actually paying for the space on the truck for the first item, and any second item on the same pallet would be no charge on shipping.

5) The hood is made by AIT racing (it lists for $455 on their site) They have been making hoods and body kits since 2002. According to the sales guy (and let's remember he is a SALES guy), he says that the hood should fit out of the box, with little adjustment. On the other hand, if it does not fit, you have 30 days to return it as long as no prep or paint has been done to it. Residential shipping is $184 and shipping to a business is slightly less.

I'm looking forward to seeing my Pwhite GT with that hood. It should look pretty damn good in my opinion.

UB10
Old 09-09-2008, 03:16 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

It looks very similar to the GTS3 hood from Trufiber. I will be doing a write up on the fit and finish of that hood in the coming weeks (hood is at paint and body shop). I will have pics and details of the whole process. I believe the hood above is a good buy but the Trufiber one takes it a step further and provides a functional opening on the underside of the hood to funnel cool air over the CAI. It also has screens in the vents at the front of the hood. What the above have stated is true and a body shop that has worked with fiberglass should know how to prep the hood for paint.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:33 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

I have a fiberglass ram air hood on my GT and it required quite a bit of prep work. On the other hand it did not come from Cruizin Concepts so their hoods may or may not be different.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:07 PM
fyerfyter
2nd Gear Member

http://www.keystonerestyling.com/

very little prep work ...great fit...fresh air to the cai...i did put hood pins on for some shaking on the highway...sounds common for aftermarket tho...good luck
Old 09-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

It would be nice to have more pictures of this hood. Profile shots, and maybe some 3/4s as well. Personally, the open scoop is a bonus is my book. For anyone running, or looking to run the WMS intake, the more of these open hoods there are to choose from, the better.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass hoods?