Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have 3m tape issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:29 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone else have 3m tape issues

I just installed a Roush rear spoiler on my car yesterday in my garage. I used adhesion promoter on a clean surface for all tape adhesion spots. Everything stuck nice and flush and then I installed the bolts. I live Prescott, AZ and I had the car out this morning in the cold. It was parked at the airport as the sun went up. At some point during the transition from morning cold to heat in the sun the tape just decided to give out. It's also bolted in so there is no issues of it coming off and all the holes are protected by the foam pieces placed around them, but now there is a very small, barely noticeable gape in the center of the spoiler between the plastic and the deck lid. My only concern is that water can now get under the part. I plan to fix it in a week or two when I get the chance. Has anyone else had a similar issue with 3m tape? Any tips for when I put new tape on?
Old 09-14-2008, 02:36 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

Make sure you clean the surface with alcohol. Let it sit for 24 hours in 70 degree or warmer weather. If you can, put some weight on it while it sits.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:12 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

I did clean the entire deck lid with alcohol. Although I only let it sit for a few hours. It was also around 80 where I was at the time. I will definitely give placing weight on it a try. Hopefully it will work better next time. I really wish Roush could have provided some more heavy duty tape like the stuff that was on the stock spoiler, instead of the thin stuff that has given me nothing but headaches on several occasions.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:19 PM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

I live in Vegas, and my Cervini's components often have gaps in the tape coverage due to the extreme heat. I was thinking about putting a flexible silicone seal on all of the parts to make sure that there was no water penetration, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I know that heat is the main factor in the negative tape effects, but how does one combat that?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:25 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

I've seen a few nice Mustang's out here with taped on parts with no issues. The only thing I could thing of though is that they probably keep it in a cool garage. This is also keeping me from buying the Roush window louvers since the brackets are held on by tape alone. At least my wing, and things like their hood scoop all have bolts as well.

Last edited by rmssch89; 09-14-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: missed something
Old 09-14-2008, 05:20 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

i have installed all my roush parts and havent had any problems at all...my louvers have been on since installation 2 years ago and are holding strong....i havent had any trouble with the tape but if u must replace yours, i would recommend the grey "Super Strong" 3M double sided tape at walmart....
Old 09-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Flatline1980
2nd Gear Member

3M tape is for the BIRDS.. I hate it..
Old 09-14-2008, 05:41 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

I was just given a recommendation from a friend here at school to use clear RTV. What do you all think?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Gr8T STANG
1st Gear Member

I had a problem with the 3M tape too. I bought a hood scoop that was held on with the tape. I prepped the hood realy good and let it cure for the recomended time. It held good until the first hot day and on the way to work it started to lift up. On the other hand I haven't had any problems with my window louvers and side scoops.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:20 PM
hmartine
1st Gear Member

i've used the grey color 3m tape on my spoilers and had never had any problems. You do need to make sure the surface is cleaned with alcohol and dried before installing the tape. and try no to touch either sticky side of the tape because of the natural oils on your fingers. I dont use silicone on any exposed joints. silicone will turn colors and trap dirt. then you will try to get it off and you will end up ruining your piece.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have 3m tape issues