Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting A new transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Refonbass
1st Gear Member

Default Getting A new transmission

so my car was in the dealer last week for the gas tank tsb and at the time I wanted to get the transmission and front strut tsb's taken care of also. They had it for over a week and still hadn't done anything but the gas tank, waiting on parts I guess, so I picked it up and told them I'd bring it back when they had all the parts. So I called today to see if they had the parts so I could this thing done. So the girl puts me on hold, then comes back and says the service manager wants to just put a whole new transmission in. I was like, ok.. well if thats what he wants to do. They haven't even taken it apart to see if there are metal shavings, just going to put a new one in. Do you guys think thats a good idea? I'm just worried because I didn't really have any problems with the current one, and maybe I should just leave well enough alone. Then again, maybe the new will be even better.. who knows..
any opinions?
Old 05-18-2005, 05:06 PM
dRiBz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Getting A new transmission

well, your lucky, i do have the grinding noise, but the "service tech" didnt hear anything on the drive.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:45 AM
Earl
1st Gear Member

What is your build date? The TSB that says to replace it if there are metal shavings is for manual tranys in cars built before 1/15.

Mine was built on 1/14 and is in the shop for the exact same repairs (popping suspension TSB, fuel tank, & tranny noises). Mine did have shavings and is being replaced - and had been making noises.

Prepare to wait awhile. I was initially told 2 weeks but threw such a fit to be tied that they have shaved that time by a week, I pick it up tomorrow.

Earl
Old 05-19-2005, 02:25 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Damn its getting to the point where I might soon be afraid drive my car. Mine was made 11/2004 and nothing yet well the gas tank every now and then but really its no big deal.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:21 AM
Earl
1st Gear Member

I believe alot of people are driving around with bad transmissions and don't know it. The Tremec is known as a loud, noisy, hunk of a tranny and alot of people attribute all the noises they hear as "normal". Well, alot of times they aren't. Problems will show when the transmission pan is dropped and the metal shavings are found. Earl
Old 05-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

They haven't even taken it apart to see if there are metal shavings, just going to put a new one in. Do you guys think thats a good idea?
<--- Would never happen. Either they yanked the drain plug and saw metal shavings on the plug. Or they ripped it apart.... OR even better. lol. They didnt even think there was a problem and didnt touch youre tranny but told you they did!!! lol. that would be funny... give me youre VIN and i'll tell you if they did or not.

I believe alot of people are driving around with bad transmissions and don't know it. The Tremec is known as a loud, noisy, hunk of a tranny and alot of people attribute all the noises they hear as "normal". Well, alot of times they aren't. Problems will show when the transmission pan is dropped and the metal shavings are found. Earl
They really are not all that loud... Also TREMEC's dont have "transmission pans"
Old 05-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Earl
1st Gear Member

Sorry about the verbage Caspar, but you know what I meant.

Not that loud? I got my GT back today. If anything, the new tranny is louder than the old one! I get a sound I don't like under hard acceleration, and then not to mention a jet turbine sounding whine on deceleration....Uggh....

Guess I'll just live with this one.

Earl

ORIGINAL: Casper98GT

They haven't even taken it apart to see if there are metal shavings, just going to put a new one in. Do you guys think thats a good idea?
<--- Would never happen. Either they yanked the drain plug and saw metal shavings on the plug. Or they ripped it apart.... OR even better. lol. They didnt even think there was a problem and didnt touch youre tranny but told you they did!!! lol. that would be funny... give me youre VIN and i'll tell you if they did or not.

They really are not all that loud... Also TREMEC's dont have "transmission pans"
Old 05-20-2005, 12:54 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

hummm... did someone see that??? a ghost? here one min and gone the next? hummmmm.. Casper!!.. come join us more often.. Its getting sad when I have to offter unskilled tech advice to everyone. [sm=bustedsign.gif]
Old 05-20-2005, 12:56 AM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Mine whines a bit in overdrive, but damn. A "Jet Turbine" whine!? I think I'de be gettin' a hold of that TSB, and taking a copy of it straight to the dealer![sm=gears.gif]
Old 05-20-2005, 01:28 AM
Earl
1st Gear Member

This IS after a replacement of the tranny with that very TSB. Perhaps jet turbine whine is a bit excessive, but it is a whine nonetheless.

I'm beginning to think I just have to live with it.

I remember watching a video & audio clip on one of the stang boards with the various stangs showcasing different exhaust systems. Almost everyone one, before the exaust or about the same time you heard it - you heard the whine.

Earl

Quick Reply: Getting A new transmission