MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Out of Gas (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/483910-out-of-gas.html)

08 redauto 09-23-2008 10:31 AM

Okay, so oil is falling again and gas is going up, if you can even find it. Exxon (XOM) is trading at below $80 a share. It is time to buy Exxon stock. We are at the end of the third quarter and the corporate profits will be announced in about a month, and they will be huge. My guess is that the major oil stocks will shoot up about 10 to 15% in the next few weeks. I know it is somewhat of a gamble, but whoever lost money on oil stocks?
This "Out of Gas" situation is a Big Oil ploy to keep pump prices high, not the results of platform and refinery damages due to Hurricanes. I am so sick of being lied to, how about you?

If life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

shoeys08dkcandygt 09-23-2008 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 08 redauto (Post 5474629)
Okay, so oil is falling again and gas is going up, if you can even find it. Exxon (XOM) is trading at below $80 a share. It is time to buy Exxon stock. We are at the end of the third quarter and the corporate profits will be announced in about a month, and they will be huge. My guess is that the major oil stocks will shoot up about 10 to 15% in the next few weeks. I know it is somewhat of a gamble, but whoever lost money on oil stocks?
This "Out of Gas" situation is a Big Oil ploy to keep pump prices high, not the results of platform and refinery damages due to Hurricanes. I am so sick of being lied to, how about you?

If life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

i thought the same thing too. but its only in the middle tn and central ky area. knoxville has gas for $3.39 a gallon. memphis has gas too. once you get east of lebanon on I40 there is all the gas you want. so big oil not pulling a fast one on anyone else why would they do it just to one area of the country? that is what is pissing me off. how come it is only here and nowhere else? even houston and louisiana have plenty of gas. and they got hit the hardest from the storms?

Black Man 09-23-2008 11:55 AM

I feel ya pain gentlemen, gas especially 93 octane is hard to come by in Hendersonville, but the Exxon station over the weekend started getting some 93 in and i was able to fill up last night. It sucks, seems like they got us by the balls. I was in Murfreesboro last week and couldn't find any 93 octane, luckly i had enough to get home. Sweatin my a$$ off.

Misbehavin 09-23-2008 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by shoeys07torchgt (Post 5474742)
i thought the same thing too. but its only in the middle tn and central ky area. knoxville has gas for $3.39 a gallon. memphis has gas too. once you get east of lebanon on I40 there is all the gas you want. so big oil not pulling a fast one on anyone else why would they do it just to one area of the country? that is what is pissing me off. how come it is only here and nowhere else? even houston and louisiana have plenty of gas. and they got hit the hardest from the storms?

See my post above, specifically the link. Boutique fuels play a large role in what you're seeing happen.

chain1 09-23-2008 01:46 PM

Maybe its just me but I have a rule against getting my investment advice from the Mustang Forum...

Orion_240 09-23-2008 03:13 PM

I highly recommend buying stock in the gasoline companies!

Misbehavin 09-23-2008 06:10 PM

Maybe its just me but I have a rule against getting my investment advice from the Mustang Forum...
How about from this guy in Nigeria that sent me an email. He has a really good investment idea.... :D

clustersnarf 09-23-2008 06:28 PM

This is true. Georgia just got an EPA waiver to sell some other blends since the supply of EnviroWhacko gas is short and slow. I'm about to remove about 5 deg of timing from my tune so I can run 87 for a while. 93 is usually short anyway and once 87 is gone, people gobble up whatever is there no matter what the cost. Bastards wasting all the gas their cars aren't tuned to use. I'm about 1/4 tank now. I should probably just go ahead and tune her back and take what I can get for a month.

If the governments wouldn't mandate all these 276^231(3764) blends of gas, this wouldn't be nearly such an issue. Granted, there should be some reduced emission blends for high volume areas to keep a lot of smog down, but Natural Gas powered fleet vehicles, electric metro-transit and other things could go a long way to reducing much of the oil dependence and create more supply than demand for the same amount of gasoline.

Originally Posted by Misbehavin (Post 5474507)
From what I've seen most of the problem stems from the different blends of fuel (called boutique fuels) for different areas. Due to air quality and environmental concerns, there are a multitude of different blends of fuel for various areas throughout the country. With the refineries being shutdown while Ike rolled through, it took time to get them up and going again. Certain blends that are used in lesser numbers of areas may see shortages due to the demand outsourcing the supply.

If the nation would simply merge their fuel requirements into just a couple of blends, things like this would be much easier in terms of getting gas to the pumps.

This link (although a couple years old) explains this further:
http://www.econbrowser.com/archives/...se_for_mo.html

mtsusean 09-27-2008 08:50 PM

So here we are a week later.

There's 87 available now, around $3.99 a gallon. I found 93 this morning downtown at $4.25. Seven stations close to home though, still no 93.

My wife drove the Mustang this week. When it got to 1/2 a tank, she thought she would go ahead and fill up. With 87 :roll: She's been instructed to not do that again. It got down to 1/2 a tank today and I topped it off with 93. I never did hear anything, or feel anything out of the ordinary with the 1/2 87 and 1/2 93 that was in it.

Things should be completely back to normal here in another week. Now it's other areas feeling the pain.

mygt500 09-28-2008 12:26 AM

still sucks......