Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pretty much sick and tired...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:27 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Default Pretty much sick and tired...

...of how sloppy the stock shifter is. Anyone else have trouble with 3rd gear? Anytime I need to throw it down in 3rd to pass someone, it never seems to find the damn slot right away. From past experience I know this isn't anything big, just super sloppy stock shifting. Yea I know I want a Hurst STS, just gotta save up. Man that 04 I had came with a STS installed, and it was amazing!

Another thing, I'm still kinda getting use to a car with this kind of hp/tq while being a stick. I've driving sticks before, but mainly diesels. So I've been practicing matching my rpms. There have been a few times, however, that I'll be in 4th, kick up the rpms, downshift to 2nd, and then the car still seems to bog down for a few seconds. Then it kicks in and I take off. Really doesn't feel right. Any suggestions?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Hmm didnt have mine on long enough to know too much, but hated the same thing. Was a little loose to find gears... Hey just keep looking at classifieds and so fourth I bought my Hurst off a guy with 3000 miles on it for 110 shipped... so a good deal can come anytime.. just keep looking man...
Old 09-24-2008, 08:35 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy7701
Hmm didnt have mine on long enough to know too much, but hated the same thing. Was a little loose to find gears... Hey just keep looking at classifieds and so fourth I bought my Hurst off a guy with 3000 miles on it for 110 shipped... so a good deal can come anytime.. just keep looking man...
Will do. Which one did you get? Brenspeed shows two:

and

Other than $60, any big differences between the two?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

I have the cheaper one not the billet metal one.... but I love it, but deekum I believe has the billet one but finding a used billet one might be pretty difficult.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

So other than material, really no difference in the two?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:59 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

I am starting to hate my stock shifter as well. I dont have any problems finding the gears it just feels looks and stupid!! haha I will probably be buying a new one soon... money money money...
Old 09-24-2008, 09:31 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

There have been a few times, however, that I'll be in 4th, kick up the rpms, downshift to 2nd, and then the car still seems to bog down for a few seconds. Then it kicks in and I take off. Really doesn't feel right. Any suggestions?
Hmmm.....From 4th to 2nd....Perhaps bumping the rev limiter????
Old 09-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

To makeup for the lag id go X cal 3 tuner and tunes from bamachips.com
Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingsofcrunk
So I've been practicing matching my rpms. There have been a few times, however, that I'll be in 4th, kick up the rpms, downshift to 2nd, and then the car still seems to bog down for a few seconds. Then it kicks in and I take off. Really doesn't feel right. Any suggestions?
Is your traction control on? If so and your tires start to break loose the TCS will kick in and cause your car to 'bog down'. It's happened to me a few times in similar situations...
Old 09-24-2008, 09:56 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

i went back to my stock shifter from the hurst short throw. main reason was it took so much more effort to shift that it became extremely annoying when i was just trying to drive the car normally. also the noise transfer was too much for me also, even after i dyna-mattted the whole shifter and the body area arround the shifter hole.

and this may be weird, but i would sometimes miss the 1-2 shift with the hurst and i never miss it with the stocker. its a little sloppy, yes, but its easier to push into gear and for me, it allows for a faster shift and far far less misses. infact, i dont think i've missed one since i put the stock one back in.

but if you must do one, do the billet version, i hear they are a little better than the cheap one, as far as noise transfer goes.

Quick Reply: Pretty much sick and tired...