Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010GT, These brakes are the worst I've ever used.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:14 AM
George_ORH
1st Gear Member

Default 2010GT, These brakes are the worst I've ever used.

Ok guys I'm going to do a little rant here and hope that someone can give me some tips on an easy way to beef these brakes up.

2010GT, 5 speed, CAI, Tuner. 19" 2012 Rims, 15000 miles on car,

For general driving, The brakes feel fine.

So I pushed the car (on a closed course) to around 140 and then braked down to around 90 before letting off. I used about 25% braking and it was a firm but a non performance slow down from speed. At 100 the front brakes were screaming and had already fadded ALOT. Keep in mind that I only did this ONCE, So everything was fresh and this was not caused from multiple up-downs... After leaving the "closed course" and driving at normal speeds for about 12-15 miles, I stopped and noticed some heat issues STILL present but much less noticable. Of course the discs up front were SCALDING hot. I just wonder how hot they really were when I "tried" to use them...Glowing Red comes to mind.

I would hate to know that I HAD to use these brakes in any kind of extreme situation. For a "sports car", The brakes are rediculous. Yes they are stock brakes, but I expected so much more from them.

I had a 1992 300zxTT about 10 years ago and the braking system on it was beyond the brakes on this mustang. I would think that a car this much newer would actually have better brakes.....arg..

So now, I guess I get to upgrade my stock brakes JUST so they can actually stop my almost stock car... I can't imagine driving something heavily modified with these brakes...

So,,, What's the best way to go with this? I don't want to change my rims for anything. I don't want to spend $1500+ on upgrading the brakes either.
I know what SS lines will do, and they won't fix this problem. High temp performance fluid? For one stop? Surely not....,

Maybe the stock pads are just garbage?

Sorry for the rant... I am just upset with the car's brakes right now.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

So you tried to use brakes designed for longevity and durability during "normal driving" conditions in a race application and they faded faster than you expected? It is a street car, If you wanna "race" it go get yourself some hi-perf pads, hi-temp fluid and stainless lines and you will be fine. Plus, you probably glazed over the pads by over heating them.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

He has a point.. Mustang's are notoriously known for sub-par brakes.. You could swap out some better discs and pads, helps a lot.. That's about the best you can do without going for a full out big brake kit..
Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Not to mention that the 300ZX-TT was probably a lot lighter than your current Mustang... While our cars are not pigs compared to the Challenger, they are still heavier now than the Mustangs from 10 years ago... Hell my 2012 is about 300lbs heavier than my 2005...

Don
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

That doesn't sound right, I would check my lines and fluid level, even with brakes with 15k on them, that's a little absurd. However given they are stock.. Stock from one company is not the stock of another. Better pads, and hi temp fluid would probably take care of all your needs for daily and even light tracking, short of intense autox for extended periods - then you should be brembo/wildwooding it anyhow, honestly.

These are thick cars, but when driving outside legal limits (tracking, dragging what have you), those stock parts are just that - stock.

OEM quality these days, is not what OEM was 10 years ago - for any car manufacturer.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Rolling13
2nd Gear Member

You need a fluid change by now.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
He has a point.. Mustang's are notoriously known for sub-par brakes.. You could swap out some better discs and pads, helps a lot.. That's about the best you can do without going for a full out big brake kit..
they are not notoriously known for that. pretty much any oem dd brake setup will react this way when you put it into track conditions. it may be exacerbated by the weight of the Mustang - not a whole lot of performance cars that weigh as much as the big three from amerikuhhh.

if you want to track your car or use your brakes in this manner - then the minimum I'd suggest is new pads, new fluid, and stainless steel brake lines. if you decide that's not enough, a big brake kit is in order
Old 09-21-2012, 04:41 PM
George_ORH
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys.

I know it's not a "race car" but I suppose I just expect that if they are going to make a car "go", Then They should also make it "stop", haha.

I guess I look at 3 things in a sports car.
Go Fast
Turn Like a champ
Stop.

I know a Honda Civic isn't going to do this, But then again they only cost 18k new (decently equiped, haha).

The 300Zx was somewhat lighter but then again the brakes were designed for the car, haha. Also back in 1992, That Z was considered HEAVY. I should appoligize for bringing up another car... I will just focus on what I have and what I want it to do!

I will try some decent pads and flush the lines with some quality fluid and see how that goes.

Thanks guys, Have a great weekend!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:13 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by George_ORH
Thanks guys.

I will try some decent pads and flush the lines with some quality fluid and see how that goes.

Thanks guys, Have a great weekend!
This is going to make a difference, that will be very noticeable to you.

Have a good weekend yourself!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by George_ORH
I guess I look at 3 things in a sports car.
Go Fast
Turn Like a champ
Stop.
The mustang isnt a sports car, its a pony car. Sports cars are two seaters.

Quick Reply: 2010GT, These brakes are the worst I've ever used.