Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do these look okay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:09 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Default Do these look okay?

I was looking at my brakes today, after yesterday's track day, and this is what the rear rotors look like. I don't know if this is okay, or if I need to get the rotors turned, or if I need to call Bill @ Stage3. Oh and no there is not a crack in the pictures, that is just a reflection...had to go double check that one.

I also noticed that my rear pads seem to have much less friction material than my front ones. I'm assuming they come with less since they tend to work less hard, but I wanted to be sure.

Any thoughts?

Don't know why direct likes to the Picasa images aren't showing up when using the img tag...but here are links...sorry about the hassle.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Richard....56984781158514

http://picasaweb.google.com/Richard....56990993650066

http://picasaweb.google.com/Richard....57005312009906

http://picasaweb.google.com/Richard....57007705870738
Old 09-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

looks like the ceramics starting to wear off..check the pads and have your rotors turned..unless you have something between the pad and rotor.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:54 PM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

That is not good, get some new pads and have your rotors turned
Old 09-28-2008, 11:23 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

looks like those rotors got pretty hot. +1 with the others, have rotors turned before next track day. they wont fail to stop the car or anything, but they may be warped and cause vibrations and unstable braking conditions. those are things you dont want when your mashing on them to get into a corner.

you may want to look into doing a brake cooling kit some how. i know there is a bolt in kit for the fronts, but i dont know about the rears. may need some fabrication, but it shouldnt be too bad.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:17 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Um...now that I think about it I had the TCS on all day....and the TCS does two things cut fuel...and apply rear brakes...aw crap....I'll bet that is why the rears look f'd up and the fronts look fine...every time it got squirly the rears would apply some pressure...so they were probably applying for 20min straight at a time....

Can I run the Hawk HPS in the rear and keep the fronts stock? The wife has okay'd whatever needs to get done to fix the rear...but since the fronts are fine she would rather save that money right now...

So I am going to probably go get the rotors turned and see if they are okay and get some new rear pads...I would probably like to get the Hawk HPS pads since they are actually cheaper than the Ford ones and not that much more than the AutoZone ones...but I don't know if I can really mix and match especially having better pads in the rear than the front.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

I just finished replacing my rear pads as well. The front look absolutely fine. I sometimes wonder if there is a difference in wear between people who regularly use the parking brake and those that don't. I wonder if that auto-adjusts them to tighter spec than the front. I don't know. Just guessing.

As far as Hawk pads, I had several people steer me away from them saying the produce way more brake dust than other pads. Only anecdotal evidence of that.

Try RockAuto.com. That's where I got mine and the prices seemed pretty good.