Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gastank

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Crobeson78
1st Gear Member

Default Gastank

so i have an 05 gt and every time I was filling up with gas, it would just continue to click off every half gallon or so.

So i got the dealership to look it up and Ford came out with a new tank upgrade for my car. So I had them put it in, still under warranty which is great cause it was an 800 dollar tank plus labor. So I waited and paid the 50 buck deductible and got my car back.

When i was driving away all of a sudden the gas gauge dropped to E and the gas light came on and the check engine light came on. They told me to run a full tank through it and see what happens.

I was wondering if anyone else was having or has had problems with this and what they did for you.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2008, 10:19 PM
duffer

I've had the same problem with my 07. I have the new tank as well and I still have sporatic issues depending on where I fuel up. There are 3 stations in my area that I can't fuel up for nothing.

I've had the same issue as you with my fuel gauge. The dealer gave me a bottle of Chevron Techron and told me Ford recommended Chevron gas. So far so good.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:36 AM
Crobeson78
1st Gear Member

so much for my costco membership
Old 10-12-2008, 04:32 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

so i just tell the dealership i am having problems filling up and i get a new gas tank?
Old 10-12-2008, 06:13 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

i've experienced this a few times. Why did you pay a $50 deductible? or was it an extended or aftermarket warranty?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Crobeson78
1st Gear Member

its an optionable recall. more convenience i guess.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

there's dozens of posts here that deal with this issue. There's one that offers a potential fix.

But the main issue is that getting a "New" gas tank won't help at all. There is a design flaw and until the venting problem is solved the new tank won't help. Plus you're out $50.

No need for "special gasoline", you just need to turn the handle and hold it while pumping gas. If that doesn't work, as is the case with the new style pump handles, you may have to try a different pump.
Sometimes mine works fine and other times it won't pump more than a squirt at a time from the same stupid pump!
But having the dealer try to replace the tank, the cost of a rental car, the potential damage they'll do (scratches, stains, etc) isn't worth a potential fix that isn't guaranteed to work.
Just make sure to never let your gas tank get too low. And fill up (or start trying) as soon as the warning message comes up.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

ive had this problem from day one on my 05.. all you have to do is turn the handle upside down and it almost always solves the problem while filling up.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:15 PM
duffer

For what it is worth:

My experience with the pump shutting off continued after having the tank replaced but only at specific stations. I tried turning the handle and nothing worked. I took it back to the dealer and they filled it up with their pump without problem. I've changed stations and no issues.

The issue with the gas guage was unrelated. The gauge went back and forth between empty and full after I fueled up. The display had an error code DTEFLI error. I don't know if "special gas" was the answer but regardless, I haven't had the issue since I added a bottle of Chevron Techron. It mentions on the bottle soemthing about cleaning fuel guage sensors.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Guess the search button isn't working... again. Since there's a TSB on this which doesn't always fix the problem, most have learned the tricks to operate the pump to fill without it kicking off as much.

Quick Reply: Gastank