Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in buying a Mustang

Old 10-20-2008, 07:52 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

Default Interested in buying a Mustang

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase my first Mustang! I am trying to decide which way to go though. This will be my only car. I need to comfortably commute 60 miles (total) a day, mostly highway. I love the look of the GT, but the practicality of the V6 is appealing too. Where can I read about the differences between the V6 and the GT, other than the engine? Both use regular gas right? How much difference is there in highway MPG?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

most important, if you are looking to buy brand new 2008 model (not 09) then do search of your surrounding states as you'll be surprised how some areas have $1k-$2k more in rebates and it might be worth driving to get the greater rebate.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:01 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

The GT will easily get within 1-2 mpg of the sixer. I get 26-27 mpg on the highway and my overall combined average from the last 3,000 miles is 24 mpg. Those figures are from the onboard computer and backed up by the good oldfashioned math method.

There is nothing performance-wise that the sixer will do better that the GT. That includes braking, handling or acceleration.

There are lots more performance mods available for the GT than the six.

The GT will retain it's value better, is more fun to drive and looks much better (IMHO).

Get a GT or you will regret it later.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

There are a lot of differences. suspension, engine, exterior, etc. your best bet is browsing forums and listening to what people say in their regular conversations about the two and for technical specs read a few motor trend, car & driver, or road & track articles. good luck with the hunt, but i'm going to also say that you will regret not getting the GT down the road.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:16 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

Don't get a 6er. If you do everyone here will pick on you...j/k. Anyways...It all depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to pay for it. Of course since I drive a GT I am going to tell you to get a GT. I love my car....my wife calls it my mistress
Old 10-20-2008, 08:31 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

Ya, money will come into it to some degree. But I would rather spend the money now (0% financing) than regret it and decide to change and eat the depreciation later on a trade in.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 AM
MattyJ
2nd Gear Member

As a former owner of a V6 and a current GT owner, I can definitely say: GET THE GT!!

Haha, don't get me wrong, the V6 still looks great and has decent power, but the first time I test drove the GT and heard that beautiful rumbling as it started up, I was sold. If after all this you're still undecided, try taking both for a test drive.

My other advice, try buying used. I got my GT a few months ago. It was an 06 but had only 1,900 miles on it (yes thats much less than most who buy used) and I got it for about $10,000 less than if I had bought a new one with the same options.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

Wow! I will have to shop around, I usually buy used, but that 0% financing has me tempted...
Old 10-20-2008, 08:46 AM
ShadowWulf
2nd Gear Member

Overall, the GT is the better car. Better performance, mods, decent MPG.

The main advantage of the V6 is it's lower cost and insurance. But factor in used cars, and the owner's driving history, a GT is still plenty affordable.

I got my V6 because of the lower price (bought new), lower insurance cost (I'm under 25), and I don't like the 4.6 3v, I'm waiting for the 5.0 4v.

Here's some of the technical differences between the V6 and GT:

- GT has a T-lok, V6 has an open differential.

- GT uses 8.8" rear axle (stronger), V6 uses 7.5" rear axle.

- GT has rear swaybars, standard V6's do not. Pony Package V6's DO have a rear swaybar. (Swaybars improve handling)

- GT comes with Z-rated tires, standard V6's do not. Pony package V6's DO have Z-rated tires.

- Pony Package V6's are kinda like V6's with GT handling.

- Both run on 87 octane.

- SOHC 4.0 V6 is an engine that has been used for over a decade in the Ford Rangers and Explorers.

- SOHC 4.6 V8 has Variable Cam Timing, V6 does not.

- V8 has better aftermarket support, especially when it comes to engine components.

- V8 uses special sparkplugs unique to the 3v Mod motor. V6 uses normal sparkplugs.

Last edited by ShadowWulf; 10-20-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Stndbck
3rd Gear Member

If I did it again I would still get the GT. I have an 07 GT, my Dad has an 07 6er. Both are still totally stock. There is a difference in power and handling between the cars.
There is not that much difference between the gas mileage.
Buying a used one is also a good option, hey if you could find one like I own, driven a few times a week to the grocery store.. with low mileage you could get a deal. (this is true. my car would be a dream for someone looking to buy...)
One week after I got my car I stopped by the dealership and they had a "used" GT vert that the buyer had simply traded in for another color. I could have gotten the deal of a lifetime on that car, but already had mine.
Good luck in your choice, remember.... if you go with a Mustang your commute will definaltely feel shorter!!! and it will be much more fun!
Let's see the pics once you get it!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interested in buying a Mustang