Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust on an 06 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Cuzzo
2nd Gear Member

Default Rust on an 06 GT?

I bought an 06 Black GT back in august of 06. I wash the car every 1-2 weeks and keep it well maintained inside and out. I waxed it once since I've had it, maybe around August 2007. Yesterday I noticed that the paint on my hood (on the edge near the windshield) is bubbling up on top and bottom of the hood. There's no metal showing, but I don't know what to do. It's pretty small, about 1" by .5". Does the dealer cover this, or is there something I should do to prevent it from getting worst? Please help..thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

i would consider that a body defect, try to get it fixed under warranty.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Get it back to the dealer ASAP, while you are (hopefully) still under warranty. Bubbling paint is not uncommon on the Mustang, so don't let them jerk you around. You might want to do a search and print out the many stories about people with the same defect. Show those to the service adviser when he says "I've never seen that before"!

BTW, you really should be waxing your car at least 2 times a year! Don't tell them you only have waxed your car one time since August of 2006!
If you are washing your car every 1-2 weeks I wonder how much wax your have left on there...
Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

i have had this happen to me....mine was on the hood towards the front edge over the grille about the size of a quarter....

i can tell you that this isnt rust, your hood is made of aluminum...its pretty much a chemical reaction between your hood the paint, and possibly something that got on there to start breaking it apart...if you picked at the paint and got the chips off, under it you will find your aluminum hood with white powdery substance or white spots on it...this is a byproduct of the reaction....you should also open your hood and check the the area of the hood directly beneath that spot to see if corrosion is there as well....
i had corrosion on both the top and bottom of my hood...

your car paint/body is covered by ford for 5 years upon original purchase date...take it in, give them the low down, let themn take a look at it, and see what they say....since this is a corrosion issue, you cant really know if there is corrosion anywhere else on the hood so they'll most likely just install a new pre-painted hood for you.....gl and keep us posted!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:06 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

warranty should get that, but if you live up north or something i saw on "trucks" yesterday a product that changes the polarity of your cars frame/chassis/other metal that touches those components to where rust wont be an issue
Old 10-20-2008, 12:06 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0NF1R
i have had this happen to me....mine was on the hood towards the front edge over the grille about the size of a quarter....

i can tell you that this isnt rust, your hood is made of aluminum...its pretty much a chemical reaction between your hood the paint, and possibly something that got on there to start breaking it apart...if you picked at the paint and got the chips off, under it you will find your aluminum hood with white powdery substance or white spots on it...this is a byproduct of the reaction....you should also open your hood and check the the area of the hood directly beneath that spot to see if corrosion is there as well....
i had corrosion on both the top and bottom of my hood...

your car paint/body is covered by ford for 5 years upon original purchase date...take it in, give them the low down, let themn take a look at it, and see what they say....since this is a corrosion issue, you cant really know if there is corrosion anywhere else on the hood so they'll most likely just install a new pre-painted hood for you.....gl and keep us posted!
I just got a new hood from Ford for the same problem as above. It took Ford two months to agree to replace it. There is a TSB and it gives a repair procedure, but it is only a bandaid. The problem will come right back. That is why the will replace the hood. You will probably have to get estimates if your dealer does not have a body shop. Make sure hey blend the fenders when they paint the new hood.

Good luck
Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cuzzo
I bought an 06 Black GT back in august of 06. I wash the car every 1-2 weeks and keep it well maintained inside and out. I waxed it once since I've had it, maybe around August 2007. Yesterday I noticed that the paint on my hood (on the edge near the windshield) is bubbling up on top and bottom of the hood. There's no metal showing, but I don't know what to do. It's pretty small, about 1" by .5". Does the dealer cover this, or is there something I should do to prevent it from getting worst? Please help..thanks in advance.
There is a TSB from for for this, COV'D for 3 years
Old 10-20-2008, 11:55 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Dude...that sucks. Have such a nice car and take good care of it to find something like that. Good luck getting it fixed....let us know what the stealership says.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:21 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

warranty should cover!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:58 AM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

if your warranty doesnt cover it and you are looking to get a stock hood. i have a black 08 hood with factory hood scoop, that im trying to sell!

Quick Reply: Rust on an 06 GT?