Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 05:27 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Default TSB?

Is there a TSB for the spark plugs breaking? If so, who has a copy of it? BTW...what happened to the TSB link that use to be on the homepage?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 AM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

TSB
08-7-6 SPARK PLUG REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS - 4.6L 3V/5.4L 3V/6.8L 3V
if you pm me a fax number I can fax you a copy, I can't email from Fords computer.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:30 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

i just found it! If i present this at the dealership and have them swap them out, i shouldn't have any trouble with them if one breaks in the process right?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:50 AM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

if the dealer changes the plugs and a plug breaks it's their problem.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

that's what i was thinking. Now if i bring a set of champion 7989's, will they put those in without being sh**heads about it or are they going to insist on putting the same junk back in?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:52 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

I dont know that there's really an advantage to going with the Champions by brand... Not saying they're not a better design but do you actually gain anything other than the fact they won't break when they get stuck. If you go in and just get your plugs changed by them and they put in new plugs, they will be fixing the issue by using nickle anti-seize on the new plugs. I'd say if anything, don't overly complicate the issue by bringing them plugs. Just go in and get your plugs changed.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Any idea what the labor cost or estimated time of the job is. I would think that i'd be a half hour or one hour job at max. I don't want them to try to bill me for 4 hours of labor or something because that's the amount of time it took them to fish a broken spark plug out of the head.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:25 PM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

Call a dealer and ask them how they would handle the plug change for you... If they're weird about it, just call another dealer... Nothing wrong with shopping around from dealer to dealer to see how different ones would deal with it....

Originally Posted by GT4HUTCH
Any idea what the labor cost or estimated time of the job is. I would think that i'd be a half hour or one hour job at max. I don't want them to try to bill me for 4 hours of labor or something because that's the amount of time it took them to fish a broken spark plug out of the head.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

they shouldn't charge you extra if they mess up...
Old 10-22-2008, 05:12 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
they shouldn't charge you extra if they mess up...
I'm sure someone will get pissed off at my response. But I think it needs to be said.

Technically, they arent messing up if one or more break. Its a known issue. TSB's are not warranty items unless specifically stated in the TSB. And this TSB has nothing in it about Ford covering the costs for consumers. Like an above poster said, call a few dealers and see how they would handle this situation. We all know this has been covered for a few people on this forum. In this situation, the dealer has control over how it gets handled.

I realize this is a design flaw by Ford. And many people think Ford should take care of every bit of this problem. However, any manufacturer is well within their legal rights to not cover something like this once the car is out of the warranty period. So it boils down to admitting a mistake was made. Should they step up to the plate and spend millions (which they cannot afford to do) to fix this as a gesture of good will over the next 5-10 years? Or say "Sucks to be you", forcing the car owners to pay for the potential $600 or so bill. I own a repair shop. I will bill the customer appropriately if plugs break. Its not my fault the design flaw is there. And since it is a known condition, that will be explained up front to the customer BEFORE work is done. I would put it this way to anyone: "Sir, Ford has a TSB regarding the removal of the spark plugs for your vehicle. They are prone to breaking due to their design. I will follow the removal procedure to minimize the risk of it happening. Taking care of a broken one is not something I look forward to doing. If they all come out without issues, then it will cost only $XXX. In case some do break, I have the necessary tools to deal with it, and I will have to bill for additional labor time." Whether we do the work or not at that point, is up to the customer.
Dealers are the same as me, with one exception. They are an independant 'representative' of Ford Motor Company. Its not the dealers fault if a plug breaks. Just like me. (Remember, they didnt design it) Any tech would hate to have a simple tune-up turn to crap, and ruin his day. As a rep of Ford, they have the ability to get it covered, IF , the car is still within the warranty period. Otherwise, you would be asking them to eat it, not Ford.
More than likely, the only way Ford will step up to the plate, is if enough people start legal battles. The latest example that comes to mind is GM's use of Dex-cool antifreeze. Its had the reputation of being a "gasket eater" for years. Yet they continued to use it. MANY intake manifold gaskets have been replaced because of it, and Fel-Pro has just this year, released a totally new design to maybe eliminate it altogether. A class action settlment occurred earlier this year, and was paid out to current owners of certain models. Not much $, but at least something.
I dont think anything better than that could happen in this situation. Sure, some individuals will get taken care of here and there. But for the most part, I wouldnt count on myself, or any other single individual as being part of the lucky few.

Every car has a design quirk that causes problems. This one just happens to be rather expensive. And thats the ONLY reason a stink is being made about it.