Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Jack Points

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:30 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear Jack Points

First of all can I just apologize for bringing up one of the most asked questions....

Secondly let me try to explain my reasoning, I've searched the forum and found a whole bunch of threads about jacking up the rear end, some people say don't use a floor jack to lift the diff some people say go for it.....

So what I'm trying to get is some clear and concise pictures of where to jack.... I have a floor jack and to jack stands, I plan on swapping my exhaust this weekend, I read over tacobills install guide and I see that he has the floor jack with a block of wood on it under the diff and then two jack stands which was my plan but I can't quite see what the jack stands are support...

If I jack the diff and then put the jack stands under the axle as pictured below:

Am I safe or should I use the points shown just in front of the axle? I believe they are the welds....

Again apologizes but if some could hook me up with some photos that would be sweet....
Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

use your own good judgement on
something this critical....

when i changed out my rear springs, i
jacked up the car using the differential,
then placed my jack stands under the
frame rails (shown with blue circles in
the pic)

i felt safe, but only you can determine what
safe means for you.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Jack Points-suspension.jpg  
Old 10-29-2008, 09:27 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I'm glad you pointed that out. As the top part of my jack stands is shaped like a C, I only feel comfortable when I can find a place that fits inside the C (as opposed to putting the C under some flat or unflat surface such that the C is holding up the car on the edges of the C).

And BTW, if you don't want to jack the pumpkin one could jack up each side separately using the jack points in the owner's manual.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:28 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice hammeron..... I am a little concerned about jacking the diff I realize that its unlikely it will bend the axle or screw up the camber but its still a concern..... maybe I'll just jack it with the stock jack and the put the stand in at the other point.... and do it one at a time!

Cheers!!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:48 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

what exhaust part(s) are you changing. i just changed my axlebacks last week and didnt jack it up at all. i just twisted the old AB's off w/out too much hassle, and slid the new ones on pretty easy. the hardest part was getting the stripped nut off the old ones, had to use a vise grip. then aligning the passenger side AB took a little while, i endded up using some washers to pull the AB down and center. but didnt have to jack it up so i felt pretty safe under there.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:48 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

wait lemme guess, the borla axle backs.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the borla axle backs.... I really need to get them installed so my signature isn't such a load of crap.....

I wasn't planning on jacking it as I originally had it parked on a slope and could get under it but now its snowing and raining pretty bad in PA so I was moving indoors onto a flat surface and I'm not sure the beer gut will get under the car
Old 10-29-2008, 11:05 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey andrew, like onederful, i too just
slid underneath the rear when i changed
the axle backs......i wasn't sure if you
have lowered your car or not....

now with the roush springs, there isn't
enough room for me to do it the same way
again
Old 10-29-2008, 11:14 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

x3

I have changed my mufflers 3 times, and never with a jack
Old 10-29-2008, 11:23 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Car isn't lowered and I can get under it and access all 6 bolts when its parked on my driveway.

The only bolts I can't get to are the mid-pipe ones so if I need to center the exhausts as per tacobills guide thats where I'll struggle....

I guess I'm just worrying to much about it and need to stop being such a post ***** and just change my exhaust....

Quick Reply: Rear Jack Points