Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Taillight question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 10:37 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Default Stock Taillight question

Is the inboard taillight supposed to work on these cars? If so, when? When my turn signals (or emergency flashers) are on, only the two outer lights work. Is this normal, or do I have a glitch?

Old 05-25-2005, 10:42 PM
rjonesjr34
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Stock Taillight question

Its normal, I beleive those turn on with the ebrake maybe. And they'll turn on with sequentials.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:53 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Actually, I forgot to add that the inner lights come on when the headlights are on.

I'm installing the chase lights now... [8D]

Old 05-26-2005, 12:12 AM
goxley11
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: don_w

Actually, I forgot to add that the inner lights come on when the headlights are on.

I'm installing the chase lights now... [8D]

I think that's all normal, Don. I've followed a couple at night and noticed the same thing.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:56 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

YES!! All is well and good. The Chase lights look awesome!

But, it didn't go as smooth as I hoped. One of the studs holding the light assembly to the trunk was stripped and it took me 1/2 hr to get it off with a pair of channel-locks and a wrench. And Ford used about 15 pounds of electrical tape on the wiring to the lights and it was a royal pain in the **** getting enough of it off to make all the connections. The connectors that come with the kit are not the easiest to use, either. But, it's a good kit though, with decent instructions. A simple jumper swtich can change them from Chase to Sequential to Stock. I'm sticking with the Chase though. Those look sweeeeet.

This is where I got them if you are interested ($110). Videos are there too.

http://www.meter4it.com/2005_Mustang.htm
Old 05-26-2005, 02:25 AM
Stckman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: don_w

YES!! All is well and good. The Chase lights look awesome!

But, it didn't go as smooth as I hoped. One of the studs holding the light assembly to the trunk was stripped and it took me 1/2 hr to get it off with a pair of channel-locks and a wrench. And Ford used about 15 pounds of electrical tape on the wiring to the lights and it was a royal pain in the **** getting enough of it off to make all the connections. The connectors that come with the kit are not the easiest to use, either. But, it's a good kit though, with decent instructions. A simple jumper swtich can change them from Chase to Sequential to Stock. I'm sticking with the Chase though. Those look sweeeeet.

This is where I got them if you are interested ($110). Videos are there too.

http://www.meter4it.com/2005_Mustang.htm
how about wiring... am i gonna be screwed trying to get wires around my convertible mechanism?... bah for only 110 bucks ill find out... and with a convertible i can test my brakes with the pool brush!
Old 05-26-2005, 03:01 AM
2Stangs
I ♥ Acer

Yea, what was with all the Electrical Tape.

One of the first things I had to do in my first 05 was to go through and redo what Ford had done, and I have to do it again.

I work on electronics here at work, and I must have removed enough electrical tape from the car to reduce my 1/4 mile time by 1/10 a second. It just seemed like they did a sloppy job on the wiring.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:32 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Stckman

how about wiring... am i gonna be screwed trying to get wires around my convertible mechanism?... bah for only 110 bucks ill find out... and with a convertible i can test my brakes with the pool brush!
Only one wire (power to battery) passes from the front of the car to the back... easy to route thru the backseat area.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:05 AM
MSgt46270
2nd Gear Member

Don

Check out this site http://www.webelectricproducts.com/. I got mine from them, cost more but easier to installed. No cutting wires, just remove stock harness and replace with new harness. It will take about 30 mins total.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:50 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

I looked at those before I ordered mine, but I like the Chase lights better than the sequential, so I went with the other brand.

Quick Reply: Stock Taillight question