Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning 101? help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:57 PM
matanzero

Default tuning 101? help

Sorry if this has been posted but I've searched and searched and I really can't find anything consistent on what I need.
Next summer I'm getting a v6 s197 as my first car, and I plan to do a couple of mods to it since I've been saving up for a while...
The only mods that will affect performance would be a Steeda CAI and an upgrade to 20" (or 18") wheels.
I'm gonna get the Diablo tuner, from what I've gathered a lot of people were satisfied with it.

My question is....once I buy this tuner what do I do? All the mods will have been installed previous to the tuner purchase. I know I plug it in and upload the tune to the car but, does it have options for the Steeda CAI and the wheels? Do I have to download or send out for another tune, or do I just mess with the settings on the tuner itself?
The Steeda site said that a tune is required for it's CAI. Is there a certain tune that I specifically need for it to work correctly or is it just a general tune or something I can mess with on the Diablo tuner settings?
I'm so confused....

And a secondary question...will 20" wheels compromise my ride quality? I know the handling should be better but I've read that the ride quality really starts going downhill from there.

Thanks for your help
Old 11-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

some tuners allow you to change certain variables according to your mods. however, since you essentially 'know' what mods you will be doing, go to a custom tuning sites (i.e. BAMA or Brenspeed) and have them do a custom tune specifically configured for those mods; plus you can buy the air intake and tuner (with tunes) as a package and save a few bucks. their tunes are also better than one of the 'typical' diablo canned tunes.

as far as ride quality, 20" wheels will make your car ride a little 'stiffer' because of the lower profile tire. since 20" wheels are typically heavier, i don't really see how handling will improve, though. if you want better handling (but still different wheels), i'd get 18" wheels, lower your car and get better shocks/struts; all of that combined can be less expensive that just 20" wheels and tires alone, but that's just my opinion .
Old 11-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

When you purchase the handheld tuner, get it from Bama since he supports both the Diablo and SCT whereas Brenspeed supports only the SCT. Both Brenspeed and Bama write excellent tunes.

The tuner only allows you to change some basic parameters and some not so basic. But you can't change all the parameters that the tune you get from someone like Bama changes. It's all in the programming... When you buy the tuner, tell whomever you buy it from what mods you have and they'll write the tunes custom for your vehicle. And don't run the CAI before the tune (unless the CAI is designed to work w/o a tune). Best bet is to buy the CAI & tuner combo from Bresnpeed, Bama or VMP.

As far as 20" wheels, I'd be leary of the performance loss, especially on a V6 (let alone any loss of handling/ride quality). And IMO, these cars look dwarfed with 20" wheels and like they belong somewhere in the hood. Again, that's just my opinion.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:25 PM
matanzero

Definitely right about the wheels...I think I'm gonna go for 18s...the 20s do look a little too big for the car.
What do all the numbers in front of the tunes mean? Is that the type of gas you use for your car?
& thanks for your help guys it made everything much clearer
Old 11-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

if it's 87, 89, 91, 93... then yeah, that's octane.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Call Brenspeed and Bama and talk to their technical support. They'll answer all your questions and explain the different tunes. Even the custom 87 tune kick's a** over the stock 87 tune.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:15 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Default custom tune

When I get a custom tune from a local shop, will their tune be saved on the SCT in case I ever need to reload it. For instance if the dealership screws up and writes over it?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:23 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by CrazyHorse0217
When I get a custom tune from a local shop, will their tune be saved on the SCT in case I ever need to reload it. For instance if the dealership screws up and writes over it?

Thanks.
yes they would load that onto the SCT
Old 11-10-2008, 04:17 PM
matanzero

Originally Posted by Nuke
Call Brenspeed and Bama and talk to their technical support. They'll answer all your questions and explain the different tunes. Even the custom 87 tune kick's a** over the stock 87 tune.
aaaah i cant wait till I get my car
should the tune and CAI make a noticable difference in performance?

thanks for your help guys
Old 11-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

on the S197 platform, yes, a CAI and tune makes a BIG difference because everything (including throttle) is electronically controlled. Doesn't matter V6 or V8. Older New edge models it was a waste on the V6 models.

Quick Reply: tuning 101? help