Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:36 AM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

OP, check out the sts turbos. I'm sure people will hear that thing.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:26 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

For a DD I would recommend the Whipple. Rock Solid reliablity and no real maintenance for 100,000 miles. Then the Oil in the SC needs changed.

For a week end or track car I would defineately do the turbo. Turbo's are more upkeep and need to be cooled properly when you drive them hard, so a turbo timer is mandatory. Plus with a electronic boost controller, another must have IMO, I would be to quick to up the boost at every oppurtunity and probably blow my motor.

Again IMO a turbo needs love and attention that isnt as easy to do on a DD, if you are really **** and love taking care of your car disregard.

With the whipple I just turn the key and go.

Good Luck either way will be fun.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:21 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

once i sale my pitbike im ordering my turbo parts and gonna go off what i can for a diy turbo...my buddies done two now for under 2500 on his s2k and one on a prelude...
Old 11-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Not1My1Fault
2nd Gear Member

i think a turbo would be fun i just need to keep it realiable is my concern i live in west texas it does get hot down here
Old 11-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

This is a dyno sheet from a 60-1 Turbo. Thats instant torque right there just like a twin screw. Thats on a mustang dyno at 10.2 AFR. 8lbs of boost

Turbos are not more maintenance than superchargers. Air to Air intercooler works fine for me. I added quite a few cooling mods to my dads KB GT500 to prevent heat soak and everytime you run it you need a bag of ice to put on it to cool off.

Only thing I regret with my turbo setup is going to a T76. Way too big for our little 4.6's. Wish I would have pushed that T60 and see what it will do. I went back down to a Borg Warner S366 (66 trim) so we will see what that will do soon enough.
Attached Thumbnails Turbo-dynosheet.jpg  
Old 11-19-2008, 02:20 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alloutt
why twin turbo its pointless one will do the job
why do anything the car comes from factory good enough to "do the job" as you say? what job am I trying to do really?

I like this TT system because I seen it at the PRI car show and I was there with my tuner (justin vmp) and he was very very impressed with the kit, they had it in a car and another model on just the chasis with engine and tranny. 14 psi and im at 700 rwhp.(yes I know I need forged internals)
http://www.exileturbo.com/products/i...p?idProduct=51

I have been leaning towards the forged shortblock from roush with the tvs. for the price im probably going to go that route plus it puts down really nice numbers. Id like to be able to run a nasty 600+ on the street then toss in my zex shot to put me over the top for ****s and gigles, mainly for the track. I am yr away though so boooooerns.

8 grand for the TT

roush forged block and tvs is like 11 grand. plus all the extra **** that comes with it liek flywheel injectors etc etc etc. seems like a hell of a buy now adays with how expensive mods are.

yes I recall speaking to ya J about BOV, I love any form or sound of f/ but the bov sound gets me every time.

Last edited by TOMBSTANG; 11-19-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Not1My1Fault
2nd Gear Member

that Sts on youtube sounds really loud. How much is the sts kit? What coolong things should i get to go along with a turbo if i get one
Old 11-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

Alot of people complain about the clearance on the Hellion kits, but I think i've only heard one person complain that actually has the kit. I have had ZERO clearance issues and I live in the middle of timbucktoo, so there's plenty of opportunites. Am i careful with it, HECK YES, and i was before i had a turbo. I also have the race pipes, not the new design with more clearance. It does go under the a-arms, but if you think about it, it's right by your wheel so when you hit 4" bump (amount of clearance from the ground), you're going to have bigger issues than scraped pipes! The only place i scrape is my mufflers, but i switched to mid-mount bullets and the clamps sometimes rub. Right now i'm running stock springs, but i just changed from 1.5" BMR that i've run for the last 2 years
Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Not1My1Fault
2nd Gear Member

so i think im going with a turbo
1. What do i have to change out of my car like i keep to keep my exhaust that i have on my car right now or the turbo come with one??
2. I was looking at the STS and it seem nice and it seems to have a nice loud whisle to it
3.Where can i look at the turbo kit?.
i want my car to sound like this if im spending this much money it better sound good =P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV8dN3wfgY4
Old 11-20-2008, 11:24 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TOMBSTANG
why do anything the car comes from factory good enough to "do the job" as you say? what job am I trying to do really?

I like this TT system because I seen it at the PRI car show and I was there with my tuner (justin vmp) and he was very very impressed with the kit, they had it in a car and another model on just the chasis with engine and tranny. 14 psi and im at 700 rwhp.(yes I know I need forged internals)
http://www.exileturbo.com/products/i...p?idProduct=51

I have been leaning towards the forged shortblock from roush with the tvs. for the price im probably going to go that route plus it puts down really nice numbers. Id like to be able to run a nasty 600+ on the street then toss in my zex shot to put me over the top for ****s and gigles, mainly for the track. I am yr away though so boooooerns.

8 grand for the TT

roush forged block and tvs is like 11 grand. plus all the extra **** that comes with it liek flywheel injectors etc etc etc. seems like a hell of a buy now adays with how expensive mods are.

yes I recall speaking to ya J about BOV, I love any form or sound of f/ but the bov sound gets me every time.
If you really like the kit and are not in a big hurry, SD says Crager is taking over the marketing and sale of this kit and the price should come down. He said everything should be set by the end of the year and they were shooting for $7500 range to be more competitive.

Earl

Quick Reply: Turbo