Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stereo upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Jefffrow

Default stereo upgrade help

My 2005 GT has the Shaker 1000 in it and sounds real good but I have a feeling it could sound better. Has anyone installed new speakers? if so what were they and was it worth the money? Any help is appreciated. Jeff
Old 12-08-2008, 05:13 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

i think some sound-deadeners like http://www.fatmat.com/ would really bring your car's stereo to life. one of the problems for me with the mustang is the poor insulation.

going over some sand in the mustang and you hear every nook and cranny hit your rear tire well. its ok, volume up is always a solution.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:30 PM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

Don't know...but when you find out let me know...I'm looking to do the same!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:51 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Leave the speakers and buy a new stereo. I just put in a Pioneer stereo, and it really woke the Shaker 1000 up. Sub hit harder and have a much cleaner and crisp sound compared to stock. Now I just need to do the "big 3" upgrade, but I'm having issues finding the engine block ground.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Crutchfield.com has some direct replacement speakers for the door and rear deck 6x8s, but I have not heard a car with them installed. Just go to the website and enter the make and year or your car and the website lets you know what will fit.

Maybe someone should try a set out and post the feedback here.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Bigcha40
2nd Gear Member

im looking to find some speakers also, the best speakers i have heard all around are memphis car audio, and they are what ive always gone with "door speaker wise" but polk audio, mb quart, and infinity are all really good also. for the subs id go with kicker, alpine type r or x, or mtx if you really want loud bass. as far as sound deadening fatmat or dynamat are pretty much the only one when it comes to high quality stuff, i reaad a thread on here a while back where a guy went to home depot and bout some construction grade sound deadening stuff that looked like black tar paper but was really thick and that could work also but i dunno if you wanna put that in the stang... theres
my .02
Old 12-10-2008, 04:41 PM
The Magician
2nd Gear Member

The biggest way to "wake up" The shaker 1000. Is upgrade the Front 6x8", the rear 6x8"
and then the Head unit. These are the optimum way, unless you decided to completely gut everything(not recommended: for cost, and its labor intensive)

But with the upgrades mentioned, you will be very happy. I highly recommend crutchfield. They do seem expensive, but the will include all the required parts neccesary to complete the install along with instructions to guide you in the install process. this will save you a bunch of money by cutting the labor cost, and time you lose sitting somewhere, waiting for someone else to install it. You will also get a better sense of pride after you complete the job.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 PM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Magician
The biggest way to "wake up" The shaker 1000. Is upgrade the Front 6x8", the rear 6x8"
and then the Head unit. These are the optimum way, unless you decided to completely gut everything(not recommended: for cost, and its labor intensive)

But with the upgrades mentioned, you will be very happy. I highly recommend crutchfield. They do seem expensive, but the will include all the required parts neccesary to complete the install along with instructions to guide you in the install process. this will save you a bunch of money by cutting the labor cost, and time you lose sitting somewhere, waiting for someone else to install it. You will also get a better sense of pride after you complete the job.
Couldn't agree with you more about Crutchfield! I've used them for several vehicle installs in the past, and will most likely go with them when I upgrade the Stang's system in the near future!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:32 PM
oh6vee6
2nd Gear Member

I installed 2 sets of Boston Acoustics S85's along with 300Hz Bass Blockers and foam Baffles. These made a huge improvement in my stock Shaker. Much cleaner and brighter. They are also inexpensive. Check out SonicElectronix.com for way better pricing than Crutchfield. Best $150 I've spent.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:04 AM
JMoraru
2nd Gear Member

I think i am eventually going to upgrade the speakers, but i really don't want to add a heavy sub.