Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with louvers for quarter windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Whammer

Default Problem with louvers for quarter windows

Anyone have the louvers for the quarter windows? What problems have you had?

I was looking into getting some at a local Ford dealership. I spoke with a guy in the body shop and he says they are crap. You just can't get them to stay on. The window has a slight curve to it but the louvers don't- so they are always wanting to pull away.
Another problem is with painting. The paint does not adhere very well to the ABS plastic that the louvers are made from.

Hopefully someone comes out with a better product.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:46 PM
mustang7171
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Problem with louvers for quarter windows

glad to have found this post. i had been trying to find some where to buy louvers myself. i have seen some on 2 different cars and they looked great, but personally i dont know how well they stay on. if you find out of a place where they have some good ones let me know please!
Old 06-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Yes, let us know.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:11 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I still haven't quite figured out why anyone would want to create a blind spot on either side of a car that has **** poor visibility out of it in the first place.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:20 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

I still haven't quite figured out why anyone would want to create a blind spot on either side of a car that has **** poor visibility out of it in the first place.
Because it looks cool........
Old 06-01-2005, 04:23 PM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

I had mine added because of my love for the look of the original Mustang fastback. The vent are positioned at hthe correct angle so you can see out of them a little. I trust my mirrors and am careful with the blind spot. I added them strickly for the look. No issues with the paint to them staying attached as of 2,800 miles.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:24 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: NCMustangMan

I had mine added because of my love for the look of the original Mustang fastback. The vent are positioned at hthe correct angle so you can see out of them a little. I trust my mirrors and am careful with the blind spot. I added them strickly for the look. No issues with the paint to them staying attached as of 2,800 miles.
How about some pics?
Old 06-01-2005, 04:28 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

What kind are they and how much did you spend? I am wanting Ventshade to come out with some. I like the smoke see through type better.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:57 PM
mrbmp
I ♥ Acer

I had mine added because of my love for the look of the original Mustang fastback.
Um, the 66 was the original fastback, and the 66 shelby had a clear window, no louvers.

The paint does not adhere very well to the ABS plastic that the louvers are made from
They need to be flame treated (it sounds like BS, but trust me) Has something to do with dyne levels (surface tension) of the substrate (plastic) and the paint or ink being applied.

(clipping) applies to other plastics as well.

How Do You Increase the Dyne Level?

There are several ways to increase the surface energy or dyne level of polypropylene (PP) or polyethylene (PE). The two most common methods are corona treatment and flame treatment. If you are purchasing PP or PE product from an outside supplier, you may want to check and see if they can provide their product treated to increase the surface energy level to above 42 dyne. If you are producing PP or PE product in-house, then you will need to incorporate some method of treatment in your process prior to bonding.

Corona treatment is the most common method of increasing the energy level of PP and PE materials. This process uses an electrical current to create an ozone generating spark. The ozone within the spark reacts with the PP or PE surface to raise the energy level. While this method is very popular, it is not long lasting, and can disappear within weeks.

Flame treatment is also a common method of increasing the energy level of PP and PE materials. This process uses an oxygenated flame to create free oxygen. This free oxygen then reacts with the surface of the PP or PE and raises the surface energy level. As with corona treatment, this method is not long lasting and can disappear within weeks.

Fluorine gas treatment is another methods of increasing the energy level of PP or PE materials. This method is not very popular due to the extremely hazard of working with fluorine gas. (Flourine gas is extremely dangerous!) However, it does provide an almost permanent rise in the surface energy level of PP and PE materials. In addition, it acts as an effective barrier treatment to inhibit the flow of small molecules through PP and PE.

If you are really bored...
http://www.accudynetest.com/surftrt.html

Old 06-01-2005, 04:58 PM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

I have to second this...

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Quick Reply: Problem with louvers for quarter windows