Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It was so cold that...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:14 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Default It was so cold that...

Last friday we had a snow and ice storm here on LI which is some what rare. I did not pay any credence to the weather alerts and although I rarely drive the car in the winter, I decided to take out that day to show it off to some traveling colleagues who had never seen it before.

Lo and behold, around 9:00 it starts snowing. By noon, the car was completely covered in a white blanket. This was the firt time in it 3 year existance that the mustang saw snow. I slowly dorve home and the 5 mile commute took over 45 minutes. Wehn I got home, I brushed all the snow off the car and tucked her into the garage apologizing profusely for having taken her out in such a storm.

Today I go out to the garage and when I look at my car, there was a crack along the bottom of the windshield. I am going to need to get it replaced. I don't know if I should take it to the dealer or get it done by one of the local glass companies. I've used Safelite Auto glass in the past and they've always done an excellent job. I would just want to make sure that they replace it with the exact same glass with the black pony along the top.

Have any of you had to replace the front windshield yet? Please share your experience.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:40 PM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

its the same. Had a rock break my last windshield. When you tell them its an 05+ stang they get the glass with the mustang.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:13 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Didn't happen to my mustang....but my darn Jeep has a cracked windshield!!! Just recently happened too...started out as a tiny rock chip, but the recently ice storm wore it out. I now have a nice glistening line all the way across the windshield!!

Grrrr....and it's time to get it inspected too!!!! (actually it was time in October!) lol
Old 12-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Atlanta_Tider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
Didn't happen to my mustang....but my darn Jeep has a cracked windshield!!! Just recently happened too...started out as a tiny rock chip, but the recently ice storm wore it out. I now have a nice glistening line all the way across the windshield!!

Grrrr....and it's time to get it inspected too!!!! (actually it was time in October!) lol
Part of owning a Jeep! 4 windshields in 4 years of ownership for mine!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:19 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Atlanta_Tider
Part of owning a Jeep! 4 windshields in 4 years of ownership for mine!
Aaaaaggghhh~!!! GREAT~!

NOW you tell me.... LOL~!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Atlanta_Tider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
Aaaaaggghhh~!!! GREAT~!

NOW you tell me.... LOL~!
Yeah it happened to me the 2nd month I owned my Jeep and then yearly from there!
Old 12-27-2008, 11:07 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Yeah, Jeep windshields are rock magnets. I got cracks in mine all the time. With the jeep, I would wait as long as I could before getting it replaced because I knew it was going to catch more rocks. It's the flat widshield almost perpendicular to the hood that makes it such a great target. With a raked windshield design it's not as bad. The wind drift over the windshield deflects smaller obstacles and only the big ones seem to make contact with the windshield.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

i havent had that happen to me but because of the cold here my e brake gets stuck inside somewhere sometimes so even with the handle all the way down the brake is locked on still.. pretty fuggin annoying i gotta fix it..
Old 12-28-2008, 02:20 PM
coji5gt
1st Gear Member

If you take it to the dealership they will only call outsource it to a glass replacement company in your area, usually a traveling service so it can be replaced at the dealership. You may or may not be charged more depending on the dealership.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:06 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

call around and get the best price. get it done at your home so the car can sit in the garage to let the sealant properly seal. just insist on the pony windshield.

Quick Reply: It was so cold that...