Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body trouble....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:03 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
I've had nothing but a good experience with them. Unless you've had a defective product from them yourself I don't really see where you get off knocking their product.
after seeing what their product looked like, and maybe it was purely a fluke, but i would not order their products. Just my opinion. to each their own. if you like bbk by all means ggrab their products, they have good prices. but from my experience i wouldnt.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
blackgtstang

Watch this video it will show you how to adjust it and what not so it will work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Puz8Rghtk
Old 01-12-2009, 05:06 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dougie B
i ordered a bbk 62mm throttle body for xmas, and tried installing it last night.....relatively easy install, however MY CAR WENT INTO LIMP MODE!

after 3-4 tries messing with the spring, i finally gave up and put the stock tb back to avoid problems....

anybody know what i should do?? i just dont understand what happened....thanks
Doug,
Rather than critique your choice in parts, I'll tell you that the throttle spring has to be pretensioned about 3/4 of a turn to work properly when you reinstall it.

I had this same problem when I took mine apart to paint the TB. If you just stick it back together, it will show you a limp mode code and the wrench symbol. No throttle control whatsoever.

You have to assemble the actuator spring so that you have to turn the housing about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn until it's properly aligned so that the throttle is pretensioned to close tightly when it has no power applied. This is a failsafe to shut the throttle completely if you have a problem with the throttle-by-wire system.

It's a pain, but try it again and you should see the code go away and limp mode disappear.

UB10
Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Dougie B

guess ill be selling it then.....anybody want one?? haha
Old 01-12-2009, 08:22 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Try the troubleshooting tips first man, several of us are running them now no problems that video is exactly what I needed 2 years ago.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Dougie B

Originally Posted by underbird10
Doug,

You have to assemble the actuator spring so that you have to turn the housing about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn until it's properly aligned so that the throttle is pretensioned to close tightly when it has no power applied. This is a failsafe to shut the throttle completely if you have a problem with the throttle-by-wire system.

It's a pain, but try it again and you should see the code go away and limp mode disappear.

UB10
i already tried this....i think i had the tb on and off the car at least 3 times just trying to figure out that stupid spring.....i tested the (ill call it a "flapper") and made sure it sprung back once opened...and without any binding....still went to limp mode
Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

that vid is really in depth stuff. it sounds like that will make it work. keep tryin man dont let anyones opinion on here stop you. but if you send it back or sell it or whatever and still want a tb check granatelli.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

They are made by the same company, the only independent one I've found is the Black Diamond but at 1600 CFM or something insane like that, it's not practical for a n/a motor - would probably hurt performance a little bit even.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

GMS and BBK Tb are made by the same company? i thought gms made their own. Sorry to thread jack btw.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Haha I'll pm you. Sorry OP!!!

Quick Reply: throttle body trouble....HELP