Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention Pypes Exhaust Owners...

Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 PM
FinallyHappy
1st Gear Member

Question Attention Pypes Exhaust Owners...

Hey all...I've got a question for you all that I'm hoping comes with an easy fix...LOL!! Anywho, I've got a 2006 GT with a Pypes CATTED X-Pipe and the cat-back exhaust. I'm completely welded...no clamps at all. I have been back to the exhaust shop a number of times, but I cannot get rid of this ticking/rattling noise. Under any amount of acceleration, it's there. It's very clear. Even though this exhaust is super loud, I can still hear it. At first we thought it may be a clamp or the tips being loose, but like I said before, I am completely welded. I'm soooo frustrated!!! I'm about to go back and have the stock exhaust put back on because this rattle/tick makes the car sound trashy. Anyway, I wanted to know from other folks, specifically those who have the pypes system that I do, if this is just a characteristic of the system, or if there is something special I need to do to get rid of this noise!! Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:46 PM
07heat
2nd Gear Member

I have the Pypes mid muffler dual exhaust set up on my V6. I don't have any ratteling or ticking noise and i have them all clamped up. I do however get back firing and popping noise when i first start my car for about a minute or so.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 PM
evil06gt
1st Gear Member

I have the pypes mid muffler setup, and i get the same noise you're going through... I also get a vibration when going in reverse
Old 01-19-2009, 04:31 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

your hangers are hitting in the back. jack up the rear of the car,look at the hangers that come off the pipes where the mufflers would be. they will be very close to the hangers on the car but not touching. when you accell the hangers will start making contact with each other. i used some rubber hose and zip ties it to the matal hangers, problem solved.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:37 PM
JamesCB57

I know what it is. Nothing is hitting. It's just how the pypes systems sound. Is it mid muffler or rear, because it is worse with the rear mufflers system, I had the same problem with an offroad x and stock mufflers, and with the pypes system. The only way i got rid of it was putting the factory cats back on.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:29 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesCB57
I know what it is. Nothing is hitting. It's just how the pypes systems sound. Is it mid muffler or rear, because it is worse with the rear mufflers system, I had the same problem with an offroad x and stock mufflers, and with the pypes system. The only way i got rid of it was putting the factory cats back on.

I have the pypes O/R X-pipe and pypes MM system, i have no ideal what you mean by "It's just how the pypes systems sound", mine do not rattle or sound like rattling in any way. They did when i first installed them,but soon as i found the rattle and fixed it ,the rattle went away. If properly installed, there should be no rattling noise at all,its just metal pipes, no moving parts, nothing to rattle unless it is making contact with something.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:34 PM
evil06gt
1st Gear Member

Mine only rattle and vibrate after i have driven the car for awhile... I get a constant squeak also while the car is in motion
Old 01-19-2009, 05:49 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

not the way the exhaust sounds. its an install issue. check your hangers and the hangers should not be tight into the bushings, there should be some slack. there should also be about an inch of clearance everywere. I tried and tried and tried to install the mid muffs myself but had to get my uncle to bend the pipes and hangers to make it right. the fitment is crap.
go back to your shop and tell them to fix it
Old 01-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Michelle Cole

I have the Pypes cat free X pipes and Pypes polished mufflers. My car is loud but I have never heard any noise like you have described. After about 50 or 60the systen is fairly quite as you kind of get ahead of the sound and still I have heard nothing at all out of the ordinary. I am thus far pleased with the way my car sounds.

Last edited by Michelle Cole; 01-19-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 PM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

My system was hitting in two places:

(1) the driver's side hanger running under the tranny crossmember (hitting the crossmember bolt); and

(2) the passenger side rearmost hanger was not centered in the rubber hanger and rattling against the outer hanger shell.

Tracked this stuff down for months and finally found it. Check it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attention Pypes Exhaust Owners...