Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Default CAI question

I picked up a Ford CAI for a very nice price (9603-GTB) and according to the kit it should include a 85mm MAF. However as per the instructions, you use your old one...(what gives?)

How many mm is the maf on our cars?

Please let me know - thank you!

-John
Old 02-06-2009, 08:24 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i think ours is 85
Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
i think ours is 85
Thats weird, then why does it say:

*Kit includes 85mm mass air meter and voucher for Pro-Cal tool with official Ford Racing calibration
Old 02-06-2009, 08:36 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i have no idea but i thought ours was an 85mm anyone else know
Old 02-06-2009, 08:42 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

im thinking it came with a new housing but your supposed to use your old sensor in the new housing, thats how all the aftermarket ones are.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 PM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by my77stang
im thinking it came with a new housing but your supposed to use your old sensor in the new housing, thats how all the aftermarket ones are.
+1...also, mine is 83mm. I don't think it needs to be any larger unless you have FI....
Old 02-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Well I installed the kit - everything was pretty much pre-assembled accept for a few worm gears and the MAF.

I installed the tune on there too, and as soon as I was done - "TPM Fault". So I went to look over the tune that they provided and they it was set for 17 in rims, not 18 so I changed it and still the same issue I have to go back to the dealer anyway tomorrow, but still this sucks :/
Old 02-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Bluestang07
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smooth_J
Well I installed the kit - everything was pretty much pre-assembled accept for a few worm gears and the MAF.

I installed the tune on there too, and as soon as I was done - "TPM Fault". So I went to look over the tune that they provided and they it was set for 17 in rims, not 18 so I changed it and still the same issue I have to go back to the dealer anyway tomorrow, but still this sucks :/
That sucks. I was looking at the same kit in the Summit catalog. Let us know how it goes, I may just go the Brenspeed/Bama route instead.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I know there are at least a couple difference Ford CAI's for different year model S197's.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bluestang07
That sucks. I was looking at the same kit in the Summit catalog. Let us know how it goes, I may just go the Brenspeed/Bama route instead.
No more TPM issue!!! Never-the-less, I ordered the TPM calibration tool (just in case).

I woke up this morning after I re-tuned the car last night and the error cleared by the way, the turner came next day air once I registered online. You receive no tracking number or anything - it just shows up. If you ask for a tracking number, they (Ford) cannot provide it to you (security issues).

The tire size in inches if you have stock 18s 85.61 inches which in turn is 740 revolutions per mile. They programmed the tuner to work with 17s (even though I told them the size of the tire) and it was ~760 or so that came with the turner.

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/TireCalculator.html

The tuner can be reused for multiple things, its not just a plug in a wait type of thing. You can adjust three variables - tire size (by revolutions), axle ratio, and octane adjust. Still not the same as a SXT or a Diablosport though.

The car feels like my old mustang now, I can't wait till I get the Bama tune in the next few weeks (93 Race, 93 Performance, and 89 Performance) - it will be like night and day

Also, it kind of stops the hood from shaking a bit too, not much, but enough

BTW - it does NOT come with the 85mm MAF. It may come with a 85mm housing, but not meter itself.

Kit includes 85mm mass air meter and voucher for Pro-Cal tool with official Ford Racing calibration

Page 7 of the installation guide -

Step 1: "Install the MAF sensor and the bolts from the stock airbox into the new air intake bucket assembly..."

I need to call Ford and find out for sure...

Quick Reply: CAI question