Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My thoughts on Steeda UDP's/CMDP's

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:25 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Default My thoughts on Steeda UDP's/CMDP's

This morning I met up with Paul (one eyed *****) at his garage and we installed Steeda UDP's, Steeda CMDP's, a 180* T-Stat and some Redline Water Wetter. The install went very very quick. 3 hours to get everything in including a run to Discount Auto Parts for a T-Stat that would fit the housing. Started with taking out my WMS intake then the fan. Tried breaking the crank loose but it wouldn't budge so we sprayed penetrant and worked on getting the manifold off instead. Got that off, swapped the plates and swapped t-stats, got the manifold back on then swapped the pullies and buttoned that up. Went to flash the car and the cluster wouldn't light up so I knew the X-Cal blew a fuse. Replaced it and flashed the car and took it for a spin and everything checked out fine.

On my way home I got to really see what the car was like. Few things I noticed:
-On decel the car always made the blub....blub.....blub sound while just coasting in gear. Now it does it much quicker, seems to go blub..blub..blub. Less time in between the pulses and the pulses are much more aggressive.
-The car free revs easier. Makes rev matching when downshifting much easier then before.
-The car is way less stressed. On the highway in fifth the car doesn't lug anymore if I give it gas. Seems to run smoother and far better.
-As far as lower temps there is no proof to show if it worked or not. SCT doesn't support Windows Vista 64bit so I am not able to datalog at all which is unfortunate. The temps should be down by a good amount now so less heat soak at the track
-The car still trumpets the same amount, but the raspiness in the trumpeting died down. I think the rasp is caused by the motor working hard and struggling and now that it isn't as much it has calmed the rasp down considerably.

I would like to thank Paul for giving his time to help me install the parts and to congratulate him on the turbo stang. It's one sick ride and pulls like a freight train through the gears. Only got a short bit of video before the camera crapped out hopefully he will throw what we filmed up on here.

Kevo

Last edited by KLO; 02-15-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:50 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Congrats bro.

I have a cooler thermostat also I never installed cause I was told it isnt going to make a diffrence, was more of a old school mod people did apparently.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:00 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

great work, and you met the MAN...
Old 02-15-2009, 04:05 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1morepart
great work, and you met the MAN...
Lol I had met him before on the CFL cruise so I had seen his car pre-turbo.

TOMBSTANG- The reason I put it in was so that I dind't suffer from heatsoak at the strip. The S197 really start to lose ET's and dyno numbers from repeated abuse so I did this to prevent it. I also lowered my fan temps to accomodate as well.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:24 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLO
Lol I had met him before on the CFL cruise so I had seen his car pre-turbo.

TOMBSTANG- The reason I put it in was so that I dind't suffer from heatsoak at the strip. The S197 really start to lose ET's and dyno numbers from repeated abuse so I did this to prevent it. I also lowered my fan temps to accomodate as well.
Ya I know why ya did it. Just have been told that its more of a old school thing and that it isnt very effective on the newer models and not to bother. I made a thread about it on the forums about a yr ago also and got the same feed back. I did it on my old 5.0 cobra once upon a time.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:53 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

What do the 180* T-Stat and Water Wetter do?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

sorry i didn't make it down there today. Had to spend a little time with the wife. I just did the same installs recently and noticed the same things. I also picked up a little time at the track
Old 02-15-2009, 05:18 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gburke1
What do the 180* T-Stat and Water Wetter do?
My stock temp T-Stat was 192. The lower one opens sooner, letting the coolant sitting in the motor circulate to the radiator and cooling down before it hits a higher temp. Lowering the fan temps also allows them to cool down the coolant sooner. The Water Wetter is supposed to drop temps by about 10* by lowering the surface temp of the water allowing it to transfer heat better, at least in theory.

Chis, I was looking foward to you coming because I don't seem to remember you or your car fromt he CFL cruise. Guess I will see you another time. I'm hoping these mods drop me even closer to the 12's.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:39 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

CMDP's and UDP are good complementing mods. I never thought about switching over to a cooler thermostat, I think I might try this when summer comes around.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

Maybe we'll meet again at a track day. I was the car that led the cruise last time!

Quick Reply: My thoughts on Steeda UDP's/CMDP's