Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blending Fenders after painted hood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:06 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Ok, since I have your color and Tungsten Gray which as Tome knows is very hard to match I'll tell you some things I learned "before" I took my car to get paint. 1. Word of mouth. Ask around and find out who does the best work and see if you can check out some of their work in person. 2. How old is your car? If your car has not been kept out of direct sun light it most likely has UV fading which will make matching it even harder. 3. The painter should inspect your car up front and be able to tell you on the spot "if" there is going to be a matching problem or not "if" they are a good shop. They should of also "recomend" to you to blend your fenders in at the start do to UV fading. 4. Clear coating. Clear can change the look, depth, shine, and "color" of your paint. That's right, color of your paint. The more coats of clear they put on can change the color tone of your paint and with your type of paint it can make a big diffrance on how it comes out looking.

My advise to you at this point is to see if some more coats of clear can fix your issue. Do you know if they "poished" it?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Ford just replaced my hood due to the paint bubbling problem. The body shop automatically included blending the fenders in the price of the replacement. It came out great. No mismatched colors.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:19 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

What kind of paint job did you buy? Is is two-stage with a base color and clear coat? Did the bodyman wet sand the clear and polish it?

Spraying on paint isnt hard. Re-finishing a body panel to match takes a little more work.
Paint quality is a big deal. A good paint job you can comb your hair in the reflection!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:20 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I asked and he says he uses RM Diamont so i guess its a good paint since Screaming mentioned it.

My painter called me today and admitted to his dissatisfaction with his work and asked for one more try. I left my old hood at his shop yesterday so today he brought my old hood to wherever they get the paint and he informed me that he has finally pretty much found the perfect match. I will be bringing in my car tomorrow for him and lets see how it comes out.

I had no idea painting was so complicated til now lol. You learn something new everyday.

Thank all!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Hahaha.. if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Hope it comes out better this time around!! RM diamont has a decent matching system so hopefully he can get it to match. To nice of a car for the paint to be jacked up!! Good luck with it!!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Some colors are simply a biatch and it won't cooperate.
THE SHOP DOESN'T MAKE THE FUKKING PAINT!!
You can't expect them to be chemists on top of everything else...

As we speak, the quality of materials are going down, thanks to our useless Government!

Sometimes you have to blend on the adjacent panels, in your case, the fenders...
It becomes then a project and the shop end up keeping the car longer etc...

I never known of any good shops that pushes out every single job right the first time, much less, average shops.
But those "miss" jobs hurt like a **** reputation wise...

Shop in your area and see some finished product from other professionals.
If you like what you see, go for it.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Straight black is the only color where you don't have to blend for a match. Keep worrying about matching it's the most important thing that goes into making a modified car look right. RM Diamont is a BASF paint, which is the industry leader. It's the small guy's 'fault' not the paint per say. ie it went wrong at the paint dealer or with the painter.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:20 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

blending the fenders is the only way to get things perfect
Old 02-21-2009, 04:59 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
blending the fenders is the only way to get things perfect
Like Legion said, straight black always match...

Your color does actually blends perfect (with Dupont anyway).
Expensive as hell but easy to work with.
The first job I did with it was a fender on a Explorer and it was a perfect match.
You couldn't tell the difference between the fender and the front door, or the hood for that matter.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Find a shop that does full body restorations chances are they can do your hood and do it right. I was having my hood done and some other stuff, well I went pass the shop today and he has decided to paint my whole car since he was going to paint everything accept the passenger door and right quarter. That to me made sense since he now won't have to worry about matching can't wait to see the finished product in about 2 weeks this guy does great work.

Quick Reply: Blending Fenders after painted hood?