Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This week at the stealership

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:10 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Default This week at the stealership

I need a new O2 sensor. They quoted me $109.

So I ordered from parts.com for $70 after $13 in shipping & handling fees.

Maybe I should have asked for warranty coverage. But with longtube headers installed, I figured why bother with an exhaust-related part.

The dealer here is a major league %*$hole. I called once asking for a quote on 3.73 gear upgrade parts & labor. Their first 5-minute response was "this will void your whole warranty". WTF... After arguing 1) its a factory option part, and 2) its only the drivetrain, not the whole car. After all that pleading, they finally gave me a quote - $1,400

I dread the day I ever REALLY need a warranty claim.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:32 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

like you said just buy it then you dont have to deal with all the bull sh*t
Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 AM
07USAFGT
1st Gear Member

What city/dealer in MS? I am in Columbus here and they welcome mods...just not super cheap.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I assume $109 was for just the part and didn't include labor. That's quite typical for the dealers to mark-up parts compared to autoparts stores.

My Toyota dealer quoted me $450 for a new MAF including installation on my SUV. $75 and 15 minutes later I had a new MAF installed at my local parts store.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I assume $109 was for just the part and didn't include labor. That's quite typical for the dealers to mark-up parts compared to autoparts stores.

My Toyota dealer quoted me $450 for a new MAF including installation on my SUV. $75 and 15 minutes later I had a new MAF installed at my local parts store.
This is why I wanted to learn about cars. I know computers, and I wanted to expand my horizons

Plus, besides the learning it will save money!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smooth_J
This is why I wanted to learn about cars. I know computers, and I wanted to expand my horizons

Plus, besides the learning it will save money!
Excellent mindset. Too bad more people don't feel like that. I try to do as much as I can to my cars. Even during something as simple as an oil change, I give the car a good look over and usually find something that I end up adjusting or doing something to. It makes you feel good about your car and helps you be more in "tune" with it. Don't be afraid to play.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
... Don't be afraid to play.
Honestly, there are a few things I am afraid of. One of the mods I am doing tonight is changing out the steering wheel. I know what to do, its just I know what could happen if I don't turn off the power and I play with the airbag. Heck what if the bolt comes loose if I don't tighten it all the way.

I'm not Mr. Negative, its just I think "what-if" and since I am into computers and a bit into programming - well... you get the idea. I am also afraid of screwing it up. :/

Code:
If Then
Else
Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smooth_J
Honestly, there are a few things I am afraid of. One of the mods I am doing tonight is changing out the steering wheel. I know what to do, its just I know what could happen if I don't turn off the power and I play with the airbag. Heck what if the bolt comes loose if I don't tighten it all the way.

I'm not Mr. Negative, its just I think "what-if" and since I am into computers and a bit into programming - well... you get the idea. I am also afraid of screwing it up. :/

Code:
If Then
Else
I'm about to wrap up my BS in Comp Sci at Villanova. You aren't the only code monkey around here haha...although I really DO NOT want to be a code monkey for the rest of my life... I'm eying that big office at the end of the hall with the mahogany desk and leather chair

On a side note, I wonder how hard it would be to break down the code scheme used for our cars and really dive deep into programming and tuning from the ground up. How sick would it be to write our own tuning software? Crazy...

Sometimes I wonder if my brother's Mazda6's ECM was written in COBOL or C# or something...woof.

/nerd tangent
Old 02-26-2009, 12:39 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07USAFGT
What city/dealer in MS? I am in Columbus here and they welcome mods...just not super cheap.
Brandon, MS.

Watson Ford in Jackson wanted $109 for an O2 sensor. They wouldn't even quote the 3.73 gears upgrade. Gray Daniels quoted the gear upgrade after an argument about warranty hell fire & brimstone.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
I'm about to wrap up my BS in Comp Sci at Villanova. You aren't the only code monkey around here haha...although I really DO NOT want to be a code monkey for the rest of my life... I'm eying that big office at the end of the hall with the mahogany desk and leather chair

On a side note, I wonder how hard it would be to break down the code scheme used for our cars and really dive deep into programming and tuning from the ground up. How sick would it be to write our own tuning software? Crazy...

Sometimes I wonder if my brother's Mazda6's ECM was written in COBOL or C# or something...woof.

/nerd tangent

Programming is booooorrrring... I studied C++ and Java for like a year and a half and decided it was not for me lol Too tedious! Gotta have an answer for every possible situation :-P

Quick Reply: This week at the stealership