Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:31 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

34/78 RedTop Optima ForTheWin!
Or a regular replacement battery and a battery tender.....

Last edited by 157dB; 02-28-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

One reason I'm not real thrilled about buying an expensive battery is that it's easy to screw up and deep cycle the thing when you have a design flaw like it appears we do with the Shaker.

I don't trust myself to never screw up over the next 6 years or so with the car and shut things off like I need to in order to keep it from happening. Already done it once and deep cycled the stock battery. If I ruin something I'd rather ruin a $99 Diehard than something costing $160+.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
tbstang2006

thanks for the input... ges im gonna have to get a new one
Old 02-28-2009, 01:23 PM
tbstang2006

So, your saying if i don't shut everything off in the car before i turn it off, the bat will go dead? Hmmm, that sucks.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I'm saying shut the stereo off by pushing the button before you turn the car off or open the doors.

And yes it's stupid I agree.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:48 PM
tbstang2006

Ya, i got it. Went over to start it today,,, again... battery dead, charged it up, and it went good... I bought this car last aug.. It's a beauty... It has 5000 mils on it.. Mint...I had a 89 5.0 a while back, and cried everyday since i sold it... My dream was to get another, and never dreampt id ever own a gt... I LOVE IT>>> and when it wouldn't start... i got upset... Glad to know others have had same prob. Any hoot, i did shut the radio down... I was also told about a part u could by that charges the bat, coz it is such a highperformance car...
Old 03-01-2009, 03:58 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbstang2006
Ya, i got it. Went over to start it today,,, again... battery dead, charged it up, and it went good... I bought this car last aug.. It's a beauty... It has 5000 mils on it.. Mint...I had a 89 5.0 a while back, and cried everyday since i sold it... My dream was to get another, and never dreampt id ever own a gt... I LOVE IT>>> and when it wouldn't start... i got upset... Glad to know others have had same prob. Any hoot, i did shut the radio down... I was also told about a part u could by that charges the bat, coz it is such a highperformance car...
My 06 ride is an occasional driver. 3 or 4k per year maybe, never in bad weather and really rare during the winter. over the past two years that I have owned it I encountered a dead battery several times after it sitting. Finally this past summer after one of these episodes two of the cells died on the OEM. I got frustrated and bought an optima red top. Result: it was expensive and it did not solve the problem of current draw. If you don't drive your car with regularity you should get a battery charger/tender and use it.

If you read up on the TSBs and batteries you will learn a lot such as regular current draw, cold weather accelerating draining and prolonging charging, etc. From what I have read Ford does not consider this a warrantable issue. Other factors can affect this: aftermarket electronics, incorrectly installed aftermarket equipment, UDPs (?)

I too make sure to shut all electric components down but again, if I let is sit without charging it, it still dies. The TSB states a '30 days' timeframe but in real cold weather I have found a dead battery in a couple of weeks. I will have to see how the optima gel-type handles being drawn down (when I forget to charge it.)
Old 03-01-2009, 04:26 PM
tbstang2006

very interesting... this battery charger tender... is this something that you can get at autozone??? and is this the item i heard about that you put on your battery and it charges regularly???? if so, how much does this cost??? and should i invest in this optima battery??? i researched that, and they are costly... don't want to have to put new bats in more then i drive...
Old 03-01-2009, 11:23 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

My battery died one night after sitting for three hours. I drove to a fellow Mustang club members house for a party. Got there at 9pm and came out at 2 and battery was dead. I took it to Sears the next day and had it tested. I bought a Diehard and haven't had any problems since. I too turn the Shaker 500 off before turning the motor off.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:25 AM
tbstang2006

Wow.. so, your diehard doesnt drain?? this is all good to know.. Its a sad thing to go get your car and wanting to drive it and it wont start.. Are there any other issues i should be aware of .. Never had to worry bout the older cars..lol.. I wouldnt trade this one out tho.. Love it..

Quick Reply: battery