Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where does your Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:11 AM
Dblex
2nd Gear Member

Mine sounds like bad bearings in 2nd gear (not too loud but I hear something!), then the sound goes away, I have less than 700 miles on mine...just wondering what that sound is resonating up through the shifter...

Usually only in second gear....but mine grabs high too...
Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I have the stock clutch and it grabs pretty high. I think Ford set them high purposely and I prefer it that way for quick shifting. You save a second by not having to push all the way to the floor.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

normal. i have had 2 s197 gt's and both clutches have been easy to push to the floor and grabs very high too.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
tampa07gt
3rd Gear Member

Cool! Thanks guys! I feel better now.

Just for my own information....what does a slipping clucth feel or act like?

Also...what do they mean when the talk about the clutch "holding" the car.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
VistaStangGT
1st Gear Member

An extreme case of a slipping clutch would be letting the clutch out quickly and the car doesn't stall. You'll know when it's slipping, the RPM's won't drop as far when shifting.

An example of a clutch holding a car is when you're stopped on an uphill slope and you release the clutch just enough to keep the car from moving without using the brake. This is pretty hard on the clutch. You're basically slipping it just enough to hold the car in place.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I once heard a good test to tell if your clutch is getting real worn is to put the car in 3rd gear and then drop the clutch. It should stall. If it doesn't and keeps running then that's a bad sign.

Increased travel in pedal before it hits the engagement/disengagement points are also a bad sign.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
tampa07gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaStangGT
An extreme case of a slipping clutch would be letting the clutch out quickly and the car doesn't stall. You'll know when it's slipping, the RPM's won't drop as far when shifting.

An example of a clutch holding a car is when you're stopped on an uphill slope and you release the clutch just enough to keep the car from moving without using the brake. This is pretty hard on the clutch. You're basically slipping it just enough to hold the car in place.
Thanks!

All seems in order then.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I once heard a good test to tell if your clutch is getting real worn is to put the car in 3rd gear and then drop the clutch. It should stall. If it doesn't and keeps running then that's a bad sign.

Increased travel in pedal before it hits the engagement/disengagement points are also a bad sign.

The test is supposed to be done in 4th gear and make sure you have the parking break on. I believe you are suppose to rev it up some before popping the clutch.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:37 PM
tampa07gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide

I actually did the third gear test by mistake last night pulling into the garage. It stalled. Didn't smell pleasent either.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:46 PM
maddad

so you say thi is normal becouse i have the same prob
Originally Posted by blike
my clutch grabs near the top as well

Quick Reply: Where does your Clutch