Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need clarity on mods options

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
jranaudo

Default Need clarity on mods options

Newbie here and before you ask yes I did search and found some things but still have other questions. I hope to be getting a used mustang soon (2005+) and am doing research into some of the first mods to keep my satisfied until it arrives.

Exhaust:
what are the many exhaust configurations? What's legal?

For example I don't even know what an x-pipe or h-pipe is and which one is better. I know Axle-back is cheapest. I know there is a mid-muffler setup as well. Also the many threads don't seem to mention whether the cats are removed or not. Also whether they are high flows cat or even legal.

Suspension
I know about the different spring types and struts types but I dont understand the control arms. Is changing the control arms required? What's the benefit?

Any info would be great so I can better understand this.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Get a '99-'04 model and save yourself a lot of headaches.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
jranaudo

Originally Posted by thewarmachine
No. I truly hate the way they look. The interior is particularly bad IMHO.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jranaudo
Exhaust:
what are the many exhaust configurations? What's legal?

For example I don't even know what an x-pipe or h-pipe is and which one is better. I know Axle-back is cheapest. I know there is a mid-muffler setup as well. Also the many threads don't seem to mention whether the cats are removed or not. Also whether they are high flows cat or even legal.
Any configuration is basically split into 3 parts: Exhaust manifold/headers, mid-pipe (where the cats are located), and the mufflers.

An x-pipe & h-pipe are two different variations of a crossover mid-pipe. Crossovers are meant to help equalize exhaust pulses and reduce back pressure as the exhaust gases fight for room. Technically, from things I've read, an x-pipe should be better than an H, especially at higher rpms. Both also provide a different sound.

Mufflers on an 05+ Mustang are located right behind the rear axle which is why they're called axle-backs. Mustangs before this, like an '04 for example, have their mufflers located before the rear axle, or basically, in the middle of the exhaust system. Mufflers won't give you any horsepower per se, but they can contribute to the overall efficiency of the whole system by being less restrictive.

Legality depends on your state laws. What mid-pipe you buy determines what kind of cat, if any at all. For example, you can buy an x-pipe with high-flow cats, or you can buy an Off-Road x-pipe that doesn't have any cats at all, which is intended for racing or off-road use.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:57 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Ok. I like the New Edge body style. The S197 interior is no treat either. Problems with dark gauges, squeaky dash, rattles from doors, rattles from e-brake handle, rattles from vents, intrusive arm rest, non-full-leather seats (leather trim is a load of crap!).

Not to mention the separator plate buzz between the trans and engine, the high-release clutch which makes driving a pain, the computer drive interference, the retarded muffler setup,...etc.

As you can tell, I'm really frustrated with the car's design.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:58 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by thewarmachine
How so, exactly?...never mind, I see what you are saying.

Whether a particular exhaust is legal or not depends on your state's emissions laws. There are three parts of the car's exhaust. The header/manifold, the mid pipe, and the axle back/cat back.

About the headers...the stock headers are known as exhaust manifolds. Aftermarket units consist of shorty, mid length, and long tube set ups. Long tubes net the most power gain and best sound out of the three, but they are more expensive and can be harder to install.

Of the mid pipes, an X pipe basically looks like an X and is said to flow the best in the upper rpm's. They are also said to have more rasp than an H pipe. The H pipe looks like an H and is said to have a deeper sound.

The axle back/cat back connects to the mid pipe and pretty much has the mufflers and the pipes that lead to the rear bumper.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:58 PM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

Ever seen an 03-04 Cobra?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:59 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
How so, exactly?...never mind, I see what you are saying.

Whether a particular exhaust is legal or not depends on your state's emissions laws. There are three parts of the car's exhaust. The header/manifold, the mid pipe, and the axle back/cat back.

About the headers...the stock headers are known as exhaust manifolds. Aftermarket units consist of shorty, mid length, and long tube set ups. Long tubes net the most power gain and best sound out of the three, but they are more expensive and can be harder to install.

Of the mid pipes, an X pipe basically looks like an X and is said to flow the best in the upper rpm's. They are also said to have more rasp than an H pipe. The H pipe looks like an H and is said to have a deeper sound.

The axle back/cat back connects to the mid pipe and pretty much has the mufflers and the pipes that lead to the rear bumper.

See my last post.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:28 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

there is also a prochamber which is kinda like an x/h pipe but together
Old 03-06-2009, 05:24 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

well its actually: headers, midpipe, then cat back instead of just axle back. In a lot of the states that have tighter restrictions even high flow-cats are illegal.

Quick Reply: Need clarity on mods options