Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Install Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:57 PM
dark-army
2nd Gear Member

Question Brake Install Issue - PLEASE HELP ADVICE NEEDED

So I just upgraded to the cragar big brake kit (front only) and after installing them, i took the car out to test. The brakes work and stop fine, the problem is that the brake pedal is very mushy. It takes 1-3 inches of press before the brakes really start to engage, but once they do they work fine. I asked my cousin (a mechanic) and he suggested that upgrading to a 3 piston set-up without changing the master cylinder might be the issue. Is that stock one not powerful enough to put pressure through 3 pistons, anyone have this issue with upgrading to brembos, gt500 brakes, etc? If that is the issue what kind of job is changing the cylinder?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dark-army; 03-15-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dark-army
So I just upgraded to the cragar big brake kit (front only) and after installing them, i took the car out to test. The brakes work and stop fine, the problem is that the brake pedal is very mushy. It takes 1-3 inches of press before the brakes really start to engage, but once they do they work fine. I asked my cousin (a mechanic) and he suggested that upgrading to a 3 piston set-up without changing the master cylinder might be the issue. Is that stock one not powerful enough to put pressure through 3 pistons, anyone have this issue with upgrading to brembos, gt500 brakes, etc? If that is the issue what kind of job is changing the cylinder?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you also upgrade the lines that go to the caliber?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:10 AM
bodyman
2nd Gear Member

It sounds like you have air in the system, you may have to re-bleed the brake system.do all four wheels not just the fronts.start at the right rear go to the left rear then the right front then the left front that will take care of the problem.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bodyman
It sounds like you have air in the system, you may have to re-bleed the brake system.do all four wheels not just the fronts.start at the right rear go to the left rear then the right front then the left front that will take care of the problem.
I am going to bleed some brakes today, how come all 4, why not just the fronts?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:57 AM
dark-army
2nd Gear Member

Ok I will try that today and report back later. But i have the same question as smoothJ, y all 4 corners, I only messed with the front two brake lines.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:03 PM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

When I installed my Baer's and stainless lines, I only bled the fronts and have had no issues. Sequence I followed for bleeding, http://www.baer.com/technical/brakin...e-bleeding.php
Old 03-15-2009, 05:49 PM
dark-army
2nd Gear Member

Ok, went back, bled all four corners, and the pedals still have a really mushy feel to them. There is def. no air in the lines anymore. Any other suggestions? And does it really matter which order I went in, b/c i think I went passenger front, driver front, driver rear, passenger rear.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:14 PM
bodyman
2nd Gear Member

with abs I've been told to always start with the bleeder farthest from the master cylinder to the closest.never had a problem bleeding them this way.do you have a abs light on?
Old 03-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

I was told the procedure had to be the following:

passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, and driver front.

However I think there is something else to it. You can try to do SS lines since you are using stock lines. Also, how long have you been having mushy brakes for exactly?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:46 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Did you also add more fluid? Make sure you're not below the minimum.

Quick Reply: Brake Install Issue