Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dome Light

Old 03-24-2009, 12:14 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Default Dome Light

Looking for opinions on whether or not to change my dome light to red and if so whether to go with led or not. I have already changed out all the green factory lights to red. I posted a link at bottom if want to see. If I decide I want to change have to decide on whether to get the replacement bulb from autozone or to get a led replacement online somewhere. Appreciate the comments.

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=IMG_0597.jpg
Old 03-24-2009, 12:24 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vtmustangs
Looking for opinions on whether or not to change my dome light to red and if so whether to go with led or not. I have already changed out all the green factory lights to red. I posted a link at bottom if want to see. If I decide I want to change have to decide on whether to get the replacement bulb from autozone or to get a led replacement online somewhere. Appreciate the comments.

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=IMG_0597.jpg
How did you do that? and can you do blue? i will give u a link to the link a few of us bought the led from this place:
wentr with led, ONE DUDE HAS PICS of how it looks. Very nice.
http://www.eautoworks.com
Old 03-24-2009, 12:27 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...ight-color.htm
this is the thread hope it helps, let me know about how u chaged all those lights.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:42 AM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

C'mon now, it's time to take a step back and really think about this.

Okay, mods are cool and all, but at some point you've got to take the real world into account. Sooner or later you're gonna want to actually be able to look at or read something in your car and you will have changed all the lights in the car to red. If you really need to have a red glow to the whole interior and your life won't be complete without it, then add another light somewhere, but for the love of all things reasonable, leave yourself at least one white light somewhere.

Now, all you damn kids get off my lawn!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:46 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by digitalcos
C'mon now, it's time to take a step back and really think about this.

Okay, mods are cool and all, but at some point you've got to take the real world into account. Sooner or later you're gonna want to actually be able to look at or read something in your car and you will have changed all the lights in the car to red. If you really need to have a red glow to the whole interior and your life won't be complete without it, then add another light somewhere, but for the love of all things reasonable, leave yourself at least one white light somewhere.

Now, all you damn kids get off my lawn!
LOL! check out the thread- I like the blue, you can actualy still see enough to get your reading glasses grandpa.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:55 AM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Don't bother me while I'm watching Matlock, you young punks.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:41 AM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

if you can get the brightest LED for the size bulb (921 i believe) you'll probably be able to read something with the red light. But im sure it'll look bad ***. I put in white and it looks just as good.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:18 AM
Bigcha40
2nd Gear Member

i just picked up some 5 led dome lights today, they are blue instead of red but the are bright as hell and i can read books or whatever you put in front of me with them
Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Alright I appreciate all the quick comments. First off s197 ur link is broken so had to find it through search, here it is for others:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...ght-color.html

You just forgot the l at the end I believe.

As far as changing all the colors to red. You have to take the whole console apart and solder tiny little leds in place of the green ones. Here is the how to that I followed:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=463262

It may look daunting to you once look at the write up but put it this way I had never dealt with any type of soldering before and I got it done eventually just takes a ton of patience bc the end result is well worth it. Wish I had a better camera that could show that the color is very similar to the red on the mycolor but just have to take my word for it.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

I put the 5 LED (cluster) light bulbs in my car (green ones, they look cool). They are very bright and do not prevent me from being able to read anything; however, one thing you may be interested to know is that for some reason when you change out the bulbs for LED's they stay lit all the time (very dimly, but they are lit). After my interior lights shut off, I can still see the slight glow of the green lights. It's not enough to bother me even at night time but it's almost like they stay charged for a while or something. Not sure if after some length of time they eventually trun off as I'm always getting in and out of the car and re-starting the cycle, and I don't even think to look in my car in the morning when it's dark on my way to work. I read some threads earlier when I was planning this mod and some guys have put some type of capacitor in-line to prevent this. Just an FYI........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dome Light