Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation on warmup, SC problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default Hesitation on warmup, SC problem?

Have owned my car for a year, and never had it do the following.

On a completely cold starts, drive about 1/2 mile to leave my subdivision, drive down a road about another 1/2 mile reaching about 50 mph and come to a stop sign. When I pull away turning left from the stop, my car didn't really hesitate as much as I would say bogs down (no power, Like not getting fuel) for couple seconds. This has happened twice in the last two weeks.

I just (self) installed a Saleen Supershaker first of Feb., probably have about 1000 miles on it. It never happened before the install, but has happened only twice when I have probably taken this same route at least 20 times.

Have not talked to Brenspeed about this problem, but note that my kit was purchased from them and they say it doesn't need a dif fuel pump or BAP, and I seem to have no other issues with fuel supply, even under full throttle.

Both times caught me by surprise and didn't look at A/F or fuel pressure gauges quick enough to see if any strange readings, def will try next time, but it happens and recovers so quick...

Any ideas?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:48 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

Could be as simple that with the extra air coming in and a year on the car prior to the S/C that you may need to clean your Throttle Body. Also did the S/C come with a Tune for the computer?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Brenspeed tune. As far as the TB, it was clean 1000 miles ago when we did the install, guess could take a look at that though to be sure there hasn't been a buildup. The car had 15k on it before the install, with no buildup at that point, and I had a CAI on from 4k to 15k miles.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:12 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

Ok, If haven't already, scan your computer for codes. It is possible for your car to have a code stored but not give you a CEL. This will hopefully eliminate another step in the process.
Now If I had the money to place bets I would guess that if your car is free of codes and your install went in correct (sounds like you did it right because it's still running ). You probably have a small vaccum leak some where. Go back through all of yor connections (dis-connect the battery) and try it again
Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mxg30
Ok, If haven't already, scan your computer for codes. It is possible for your car to have a code stored but not give you a CEL. This will hopefully eliminate another step in the process.
Now If I had the money to place bets I would guess that if your car is free of codes and your install went in correct (sounds like you did it right because it's still running ). You probably have a small vaccum leak some where. Go back through all of yor connections (dis-connect the battery) and try it again
Thanks for ideas mx, will check it out.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

I'm surprised there is no need for additional fuel delivery......

Even though you have not had other issues, have you checked the fuel filter??
Old 03-29-2009, 09:49 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I have a similar problem and I don't have an SC. Interesting, I've just verified this now happens with the stock tune, stock airbox, & only mod being longtube headers.

My symptom is when the engine is cold, it hesitates around 1700-2300 rpm. Feels like somebody learning to drive a stick (but the car is already in gear). Its got that jerky you're-not-working-the-clutch-right feeling. Another way to describe it would be like lightly feathering the throttle back & forth.

I thought this had been a problem with my Bama tune. But as I've just returned the car to stock for warranty work on another issue, I noticed it also happens with the car stock (except longtube headers still on).

I don't think I'll push the dealer on this unless I can find a TSB that might have something to do with the problem.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:12 AM
maxpain
2nd Gear Member

TUNE...........
Old 04-01-2009, 01:46 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Check vacuum lines and connections. Check the fuel filter and go ahead and replace (why not?) and get a KB BAP and set it at 50 like Brenspeed recommends for the V3......might be a tune but I am not convinced. On cold starts how cold is the outside temp generally? Is the car a DD? what size inj you running (39 lb?) are your COPs on properly or were they replaced? I know you changed the spark plugs and check the MAF (yes again). Do you have a catch can? If not you may have some vaporized oil gunking up the MAF. (yup can happen after 1000 miles) I don't have one yet and hope it get one soon but they have many kits that are plug and enjoy for the Saleen.

If the motor is cold and in a closed loop system it can stumble like that until the system opens and becomes variable again when at operating temp. I never just start the car cold and run it until I am close to operating temp...maybe 3-6 mins and then your off! What is your idle set at?

Last edited by mygt500; 04-01-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:38 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I had my stock tune & air filter in yesterday and the car still did this. Air temps outside were 60-70. Appears to be some stock issue with me.

Quick Reply: Hesitation on warmup, SC problem?