Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Cold" Air intake...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Lightbulb "Cold" Air intake...

I was looking at my cold air intake after a 13 mile run (city driving) from work to home a spring yet hot texas afternoon. The car started very aggressive, and by the time I got home I could feel I was robed a considerable amount of horse power due to heat.

I opened the trunk touched the intake (steeda full cai) it was burning hot. Touched the heat barrier very hot too, even the filter was hot. They say every 15 degrees increase over 70, is robbing 1% horse power. I think the parts we almost too hot to touch so somewhere in the 160-170, so you do the math..I am sure I am telling you something new so far, but I was thinking...

Has anyone tried to channel air into the intake compartment say with tubing going behind the headlight down to the front of the radiator, siting on the side so it does not show its ugly face in the front of the car?

It looks like a 3 inch pipe may do the job, secured with some clamps to the frame of the car. Maybe some short of cone on the bottom wedged between the radiator and the front bumper. What do you think? I can potentially get some temperature readings from my tuner and see if there is a difference....

Has anyone done something to that effect?

(P.S. I do not want to spend 600 bucks for a supershaker and cut my hood).

Last edited by vasman; 04-20-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Heat soak is definately a problem with these cars and power loss is not just due to the inlet air temp to the CAI. You'd have to have a LOT of air moving at a pretty good clip over the entire engine and even then I don't think you'd be making that much of a dent in your heat load unless the ambient was, say, 50 degrees or less. But if you try it and you get a seat-of-the-pants increase, please let us know.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:21 PM
cad316
1st Gear Member

Off topic question, does anybody put a bag of ice on the intake tube before a run at the track? Seems like it would help a little...
Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Heat soak is definately a problem with these cars and power loss is not just due to the inlet air temp to the CAI. You'd have to have a LOT of air moving at a pretty good clip over the entire engine and even then I don't think you'd be making that much of a dent in your heat load unless the ambient was, say, 50 degrees or less. But if you try it and you get a seat-of-the-pants increase, please let us know.
I know what you mean Nuke. I am just trying to cool what she breaths. The rest is beyond my ability. I think I am going to give it a shot. I have not dynoed the car to give specific numbers but I am pretty sure I can check the temp on my tuner, adn give it a shot with my butt dyno. Was hopping that some else had tried something towards that avenue to share some thoughts.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cad316
Off topic question, does anybody put a bag of ice on the intake tube before a run at the track? Seems like it would help a little...
Yea, I have seen everything from CAI intake tube, upper intake manifolds, ect iced for that extra edge...as for how much it helps???I have no clue
Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 AM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Well i don't know a whole lot about this motor yet but in my 96 after the pi swap and everything i had the car would run pretty hot. The intake was the same as your describing hot to the touch. I put a 180 degree thermostat in and it fixed it 100%. I could race that car all day pop the hood and grab the intake it was cool. Anyone running slightly colder thermostats in these cars?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 AM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

reading your post game em an idea.get a 20 oz co2 bottle from someone that plays paintball and next time you drive around and you feel it loosing power stop the car spray the co2 to the tube until is cool(should take 1 minute to do)and drive around, if the power comes then you know is the tube thats taking power cause of the heat.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangEatsRice
Well i don't know a whole lot about this motor yet but in my 96 after the pi swap and everything i had the car would run pretty hot. The intake was the same as your describing hot to the touch. I put a 180 degree thermostat in and it fixed it 100%. I could race that car all day pop the hood and grab the intake it was cool. Anyone running slightly colder thermostats in these cars?
Love the name....

Is it easy to change thermostats? Do you have any specific advise for DIY? Where do you get the parts?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Wink Shorty Antenna DYI Mod

delete

Last edited by vasman; 04-21-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I run a 160 degree thermo now. Looking to see some difference this summer. Also Brenspeeds' tune turns on the fan much earlier

Quick Reply: "Cold" Air intake...