Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having no cats??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:08 PM
bsquared0
1st Gear Member

Default Having no cats??

i was thinking about getting an off road mid pipe, but i am wondering what the consequences of removing your cats are. what would happen if you got pulled over and they found out? jail? fines? i really need to know as i am really skeptical about this. i live in texas and my car drags too much attention as it is. please dont tell me to put high flow cats in because this post is just to see what kind of trouble i could get in. has anyone gotten caught before?? i REALLY appreciate ANY answers.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 PM
GTItoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bsquared0
i was thinking about getting an off road mid pipe, but i am wondering what the consequences of removing your cats are. what would happen if you got pulled over and they found out? jail? fines? i really need to know as i am really skeptical about this. i live in texas and my car drags too much attention as it is. please dont tell me to put high flow cats in because this post is just to see what kind of trouble i could get in. has anyone gotten caught before?? i REALLY appreciate ANY answers.
It depends on your state laws. I doubt your going straight to jail but they most certainly could tow your car and fine you if you were in california. Basically, itll give your exhaust a nice raspy tone that some dont end up liking. I dont know if its worth it for you. I would assume that you'd get some sort of fix it ticket with a time period in which you could fix your emissions issues w/o to much consequence. I've owned numerous sports cars and been pulled over in ALL of them. I've never seen a cop get out and crawl under my car to see if he can find the cats. Wouldnt see them on our car anyway.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:24 PM
07GT4.6
1st Gear Member

Well im down here in FL all my mustangs one of the first things i do is ditch the cats i'm getting rid of the ones in my bullitt on sat prob.I have never gotten pulled over nor ticketed for it maybe lucky idk know but the sn197's sound nice without the cats i ran my 07 no cats stock exhaust and it sounded mean just my 2 cents.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:28 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

You can barely get a cop to get off the donut shop stool and you think they're gonna look under your car? I doubt that very highly. It would be tough to see them with the car on the ground, too.

I have an offroad H pipe and you'd never know it by the sound. I also have removable cats that I had flanged in for inspection time. For the other 51.9 weeks of the year, I have straight pipes where the cats were. Love it!

So, in summary, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on it depending on your states laws. Also, in some places you won't pass inspection w/o the cats. If you do remove them, you'll need a new tune to turn off the O2 sensors.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:53 PM
bsquared0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigray327
You can barely get a cop to get off the donut shop stool and you think they're gonna look under your car? I doubt that very highly. It would be tough to see them with the car on the ground, too.

I have an offroad H pipe and you'd never know it by the sound. I also have removable cats that I had flanged in for inspection time. For the other 51.9 weeks of the year, I have straight pipes where the cats were. Love it!

So, in summary, I wouldn't worry about it.
i kinda agree with you. i know a guy who used to have an 03 cobra running open headers and got pulled over because it was too loud. the cop asked him if he were to look under the car if everything would be legal, he said yes so the cop never looked under it. i also read about special emision guns they use to detect that kind of stuff too. and i went ahead and put it on so my car has a upr off road x and flowmasters and it is soooooo raspy its unbelievable!!

also. removable cats??? please explain. i am interested.... what mufflers are you running?

Last edited by bsquared0; 04-23-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 PM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

no cats is illegal in most states, however in states with out emissions inspections you will probably never get in trouble there are at least 40 people at my school with no cats, trucks, cars everything, no one gets in trouble in sc
Old 04-24-2009, 12:46 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I think running hi-flow cats would be the best option. I was running an O/R prochamber. It sounded good, but I didn't like the smell and didn't like driving near cops, especially motor cops. Hi-flows gave it a little deeper tone and didn't reduce the volume too much. It also got rid of the unburn fuel smell. I bought magnaflow hi-flow cats. I paid $224 for the pair and the shop charged me $75 to install them.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03svtcobra12
no cats is illegal in most states, however in states with out emissions inspections you will probably never get in trouble there are at least 40 people at my school with no cats, trucks, cars everything, no one gets in trouble in sc
No cats is illegal in all states not just some. The difference is not all states require an emissions test to properly enforce this. If you are ever caught w/o cats I believe the fine from the EPA is upwords of $25000. I doubt anyone has ever been hit w/ the whole amount but I wouldn't want to find out. BTW, don't think an inspector has to look under your car to know you are running w/o cats, you can smell the difference pretty easily.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:48 AM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Come one, were talking cats, not murder. No, you won't go to jail instanly if your found without cats. Hell, a cop came up to me today (I was parked on the side of the road and a cop thought I needed help which I didn't my damn ipod kit was on the fritz again) and didn't even bother making an effort to look at the exhaust. Just take them off, worse is you'll get a fine and have to weld ones in. Not a big deal.

Quick Reply: Having no cats??