Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header help! quick! MM issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:27 AM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

Default Header help! quick! MM issue

hey i need fast help i cnat get the mm's off. i unbolted the two bolts pass and driver side that bolt to the frame. i started the jack the motor and the entire car moves. i then unbolted the transmission mount bolt and still the car lifts. i tried unbolting the 4 bolts that hold the mm to the motor itself and the engine sinks. i dont want to go further help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:29 AM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Put the jack under the motor. Support the wieght of the motor but don't lift it. Unbolt the bolts from the MM to the frams (2 each side), then the one from the bracket to the MM (1 each side) and then the bolts for the bracket to the engine (4 each side I think) at that point lift the moto and snake everything you can out.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:41 AM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

i have a diagram of the motor mounts in an exploded view. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-128856884.gif the took the top bolt out and the started to lift the car but the entire car lifts and not the engine. i dont think the two bolts that are on the frame are keeping me from lifting the car as the motor rests on that over the stud
Old 04-24-2009, 11:48 AM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Unbolt everything I said to unbolt in the post above, it should raise no problem. The only thing I can think of is if you have a strut bar or something stopping the motor from raising.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:32 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Jack the motor until it starts to lift the car. Then remove the 4 bolts on the mm bracket on the side of the block. then go from the top of the car and use a 15 mm socket and tons of extensions to remove the top nut from the mm. Then jack the engine high enough to get the mm bracket off of the top of the mm stud. Then you can remove the other two bolts that hold the mm to the chassis and swap in the new mm. Its scary jacking the engine that high, but you really have to get it way the h3ll up there to get the mm bracket off b/c the mm stud is so tall.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Midnight Express
2nd Gear Member

When using JBA shorties do you need to get new motor mounts. why would you have to jack the engine up when putting headers on. I only asking because im gonna be doing this in a few weeks.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Midnight Express
When using JBA shorties do you need to get new motor mounts. why would you have to jack the engine up when putting headers on. I only asking because im gonna be doing this in a few weeks.
Depending which headers you put in, even shorties, the engine must be lifted to get the passenger side in position. It also helps to have the extra clearance when its time to tighten the lower bolts. The factory logs will come out without lifting the engine. If you put on FRPP shorties, you wont have to lift the engine at all either.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:29 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

You have to jack the motor up because you can't get the shorty header on to the side of the head with the motor mount bracket in the way. It sounds scary, but its no big deal.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:47 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

When you jack the engine up, the whole front end is going to lift up until the suspension can't relax any farther and then the engine will start moving up.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:28 AM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
When you jack the engine up, the whole front end is going to lift up until the suspension can't relax any farther and then the engine will start moving up.

u were exactly right! i could not believe i didnt think that the engine and stuff is the major weight of the car that is suspending the suspension. i didnt take a step back and look at it. 1 lesson learned so far. thanks for help though

Quick Reply: Header help! quick! MM issue