Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end "clunk" when applying brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:09 PM
rnbrbe

Question Front end "clunk" when applying brakes.

I need help. I have a 05 Mustang GT and this weekend I changed my brake pads, turned my rotors and painted my calipers as well as rotated my tires. Shortly after getting it put back together and taking it around the corner, my front end started having a very annoying "clunk" sound when I apply the brakes. It sounds similar to a hard rubbing but only happens when applying the brakes from driving forward. The tie rods are tight and I checked for any loose brake parts and I am flustered. It sounds alot like something is hitting something on each rotation - clunk is faster at higher speeds and then slows down when the car slows. I have checked all that seems obvious to check and I am still clunking. Anyone know what it could be? It was not clunking before the brake change - I had EBC pads on but they ate up my rotors so I put on less expensive pads until I can change the whole system. In the meantime, this clunk is driving me crazy. Please help.

Last edited by rnbrbe; 05-03-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:31 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

I have almost the exact same problem, I also noticed it after I painted my calipers, I did not take anything apart tho, so it might just be a coincidence that I noticed it then. For me it is only when coming to a full stop slightly hard just as the motion of the car starts to change from forward to back as in at the end of a full STOP.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:32 PM
rnbrbe

That sounds exactly what I am talking about. Have you looked into it at all? Do you have any idea what it could be?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:55 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

No, however due to the weight transfer I am suspecting struts might be involved. Although I think it is more likely that the break rotors are grabbing really hard and that they are either warped or burned or something. I'm planning to do some work on it this weekend, weather permitting, so prolly not lol.

btw is your sig doing okay?

(Kristy are you doing okay(Offspring)) sorry lol

Last edited by sonicmetalicS197; 05-03-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 PM
rnbrbe

I don't think it is the rotor, since I had them turned at the same time I changed pads and painted the calipers. I checked the bolts on the calipers, the tierod (it is tight), nothing seems to be out of place. It only started happening after i did all of the work on it. I can't figure it out and it is driving me crazy.
Let me know if you come up with any ideas. I would appreciate it.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

Ok, if it persists im taking it to my magician...I mean mechanic.
One thing check you sway bar end links, it was causing the same type of problem about 15K miles ago for me, but I got that taken care of.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:56 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

i had the same problem but realized by wheel bolts were loose lol. could have gotten ugly. So the clunking sound i had was due to wheel movement when i go from reverse to D. Sometimes when braking
Old 05-04-2009, 02:42 AM
denice25
1st Gear Member

better to bring it on mechanic....
Old 05-04-2009, 06:47 AM
07 Cervini
2nd Gear Member

My front end will clunk sometimes and I havent touched the braking system.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 PM
rnbrbe

Default Autozone brake pads - junk pads. DO NOT USE...

I called my suspension guy today and he informed me that the brake pads from AutoZone are junk and do not fit the application. I changed out my pads again today and put in Motorcraft stock pads and the problem is fixed. Note to anyone... do not buy aftermarket pads for stock brakes on the 05 Mustang GT. The EBC red stuff pads were too hard, the autozone pads were too small and the Motorcraft were just right....
Thanks for all who responded to my crisis.

Quick Reply: Front end "clunk" when applying brakes.