Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to Pick Up Car Engine Problems Hellp!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 11:49 PM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

Default Went to Pick Up Car Engine Problems Hellp!!

So my car dosn't have a build date until 7/25/05 and my dealership calls me today and tells me that they recieved a car in with the exact same options that I wanted, except it had Shaker 500, not Shaker 1000(not a big deal). I sign all of the papers and right before the signing of the check, I ask the salesman if I could take the car for a test drive. The car had 1.8 miles on it. I pull out of the dealership and as I shifted from first to second gear I hear a puffing noise comming from the engine as I shift into second gear. I pull out of the dealership an look in the rearview mirror and there are large clouds of dark gray smoke coming from the tail pipes. Then I hit third gear and the engine felt really sluggish as if I hit fifth instead of third. The car continued to smoke all of the way back to the dealership. People even rolled down there windows and told me that the brand new car was smoking. I arrived at the dealership with 4 miles on the car and the sales manager said that the car will be going into to service tomarow. What do you think it could be? If the car is better in a couple days should I take it? I thought maybe the car was not tuned right or somthing because it only had 1.8 miles on it. Any thoughts are appriciated. Thanks Brad B
Old 06-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Went to Pick Up Car Engine Problems Hellp!!

Crazy, an Omen maybe? Ill be taking mine for a ride before I sign the papers thats for sure!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:59 PM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear...this doesn't sound like a good start. I have heard of a burning smell but no smoke. If I were you, I would have them tear up the papers and look for another car.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:00 AM
jjpony
1st Gear Member

I think i'd give them a chance to look at it. When they are done I would try to pin them down on what was wrong, what did they do, etc.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:01 AM
JWB

I wouldn't take it, wait for another if you can.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:29 AM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

I agree with JWB. They might be able to patch it up, but if its running too rich , it could wreck the break in of the rings. It might be ok for a few thousand miles, but I bet that engine doesnt live as long as it should have.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I would consider going ahead with getting it. GT's are so hard to get.

I've never seen one with 1 mile on it run... it could be just the burnoff of the engine build crap. I know after building a new engine for our race cars or after a rebuild the engines would smoke like hell untill all the karosene and other stuff we used during the build was burned out.

BUT... definately - unless your doing a burn off.. smoke is NEVER a good thing!

If you buy the car and it continues.. just tell them you want a new engine - it is covered under warrentee.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:05 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

dont take it..wait for your custom order..much safer and better
Old 06-23-2005, 01:25 PM
BigDawg

ORIGINAL: BradInFl

So my car dosn't have a build date until 7/25/05 and my dealership calls me today and tells me that they recieved a car in with the exact same options that I wanted, except it had Shaker 500, not Shaker 1000(not a big deal). I sign all of the papers and right before the signing of the check, I ask the salesman if I could take the car for a test drive. The car had 1.8 miles on it. I pull out of the dealership and as I shifted from first to second gear I hear a puffing noise comming from the engine as I shift into second gear.

{snip}

If the car is better in a couple days should I take it?
ALWAYS drive the car before you agree to take it! I am amazed that anyone would actually invest this much money without first checking it out.

Of course there is something wrong, fortunately you discovered it before you had to live with it.

Even if they can find the problem, let it be their problem, not yours. If they fix it, you can be sure it, or something it caused, will come back to be a nuisance in the future. Sure, it's on warranty, but after 36,000 miles, then what?

I would not take this one ("fool me once...") and wait for the one you ordered. A few weeks' delayed gratification is not worth a few years of remorse.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

What he said ^^
So what did you end up doing?

Quick Reply: Went to Pick Up Car Engine Problems Hellp!!