Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuner chip

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:10 PM
zworld
1st Gear Member

Default tuner chip

I have a 06 pony, cai and axle back. what about getting one of these chips, do they work? Or can i just get reflashed like with my harley for air and exhaust. I don't need a 300.00 tuner
Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

depends on the cai? which brand is it? some require a tune and some don't
Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 PM
JimC

The "chips" don't do anything for you - at least nothing near what the ebay sellers claim. They use a cheap resistor (can probably pick one up for $5 at Radio Shack) to try and trick the MAF and pick up a little bit.

Risky since you aren't changing the computer and risk running very lean.

So actually to get any performance changes -whether you get a CAI or not - you do need the $300 handheld tuner. It allows the tuner to give you a new performance map and change the computer programming. If you have a CAI and are drawing in more air than stock it will adjust the tune for that so you don't run lean (the real performance advantage to the CAI is in the tune itself). The $300 tuner does the reflashing and is the only way you are going to reflash the computer.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Nightriderstang

Chips work very well if they are tuned correctly I picked up 25 hp I went from 310 to 335
Old 09-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The effective method of increasing power on the S197 is a reflash, preferrably from one of the better custom tuners or on the dyno. Also, most tuners provide excellent customer service and can adjust your tune by e-mail to resolve many vehicle-specific problems. Without the handheld, your hands are tied when it comes to many other mods, too.

Chips are for eating.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Chips are NOT effective for the 2005 and up Mustang.
And CAI is pretty much a waste of money if you do not get a tune.

Yes some say no tune required but they are garbage and do squat for performance.
about 90% of the gain in power you get from CAI and tune on these Mustangs is from the tune. If you want to gain 2-5HP then get just a CAI without a tune and shell out 250 bucks for a decoration.

If you are going to do it then do it right. Get a CAI, handheld tuner, and tune combo.
If you don't wanna get both because of money then get the tuner with a tune alone and just skip the CAI.

BTW.. you are going to need the hand held tuner anyways if you plan on doing any more engine mods or anything that involves airflow to the engine in any sort of way.
You also need a tune for gears to adjust the MPH odometer to read correctly and in autos to make the shift points correct I believe.

If you are going to mod your mustang for performance, a handheld tuner is the FIRST and most important thing you need if you plan on getting performance or modding any more for power whatsoever.
If you do not get a tune and mod for power (meaning suspension work excluded), then you are not going to gain squat in performance and end up sending your car
off for MAJOR repairs or sending it to a junkyard.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-02-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Nightriderstang
Chips work very well if they are tuned correctly I picked up 25 hp I went from 310 to 335
Again that is with another generation of Mustangs.
Chips have NO value in this generation of Mustang.
(2005-current)
Old 09-03-2012, 10:27 AM
zworld
1st Gear Member

ok, guys you answered my ? about the chip. I have a cai, I just put on, going to put on a flowmaster next weekend. This car is fast enough as is, I'm not racing it. Just modding it a little. I have no intention of buying a tuner. If I get a couple extra hp, great. If I were younger I would be going dual exhaust, tuner the whole shebang. Just having fun with my pony car.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

The CAI will basically serve you for looks only without a tune.
Do as you wish though. It's your vehicle to enjoy!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 AM
zworld
1st Gear Member

You are wrong, if nothing else it looks good and I have a washable filter. I only spent 75.00 from AM.

Quick Reply: tuner chip