Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:40 PM
blackmustangv6
1st Gear Member

Default Hurst Shifter

My amazing girlfriend bought me a Hurst short throw shifter for graduating from college! The installation looks pretty straightforward, but it calls for lubrication if necessary and for thread locker. What kind of lubricant and thread locker should I use for installation? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackmustangv6
My amazing girlfriend bought me a Hurst short throw shifter for graduating from college! The installation looks pretty straightforward, but it calls for lubrication if necessary and for thread locker. What kind of lubricant and thread locker should I use for installation? Thanks.
You need the blue Locktite thread locker (this is the actual name brand name btw) available at lowes and other places.

Ironically, it comes in a little red container.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:26 AM
blackmustangv6
1st Gear Member

Alright, thanks. As far as lubricant goes? Anything special?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:38 PM
jvecero3
2nd Gear Member

Alright, thanks. As far as lubricant goes? Anything special?
I just used silicone grease. You can find it at any auto parts store.

And as for the nut that directly under the shifter arm, make sure you get good and snug on that nut. I, apparently, was a little off and snapped that nut (and the end of the stud is was screwed to) clean off. Long story short....You don't wanna do that.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

i didn't use anything, and im still good after 2 years.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jerseyautoparts
i didn't use anything, and im still good after 2 years.
Me either, and mine is just fine.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:19 AM
blackmustangv6
1st Gear Member

After unscrewing all the nuts and bolts holding on the shifter, I spent a good 45 minutes trying to get it out. Ended up basically prying it out. I was borrowing my Dad's garage for this project and at this time he walks out to check on my progress. I show him the stock shifter compared to the new Hurst shifter. He then asks how do I attach the Hurst ball to the new shifter.....the box was missing the upper stick that attaches to the shifter! There was no way I was putting the original shifter back in, so I improvised. Talked to Ninosport the next day and they're shipping me the part I need, but here is a pic of my new shifter for now.

What you see is some bracket my dad had lying around his garage, bent with a couple of screws holding it in place. That part better get here quick. And before anyone tells me I should check for all the parts before installing them, no need, lesson learned.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

After unscrewing all the nuts and bolts holding on the shifter, I spent a good 45 minutes trying to get it out. Ended up basically prying it out. I was borrowing my Dad's garage for this project and at this time he walks out to check on my progress. I show him the stock shifter compared to the new Hurst shifter. He then asks how do I attach the Hurst ball to the new shifter.....the box was missing the upper stick that attaches to the shifter! There was no way I was putting the original shifter back in, so I improvised. Talked to Ninosport the next day and they're shipping me the part I need, but here is a pic of my new shifter for now.

What you see is some bracket my dad had lying around his garage, bent with a couple of screws holding it in place. That part better get here quick. And before anyone tells me I should check for all the parts before installing them, no need, lesson learned.
That sucks but at least you were resourceful enough to find a temporary fix.