Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: Change Differential Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:21 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by degeze
You're welcome, and you fill it until the fluid is level with the bottom of the fill hole.

That thing looks like it belongs on a robot...I'll pass.
+1

It definitely appears to be a hunk of metal!
Old 06-05-2009, 03:02 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

sticked!
Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=93&viewfile...ng%20Cover.pdf

I know the manual states 4.25 pints (2.125 quarts). I believe link above is updated and more current. It says 3.17 pints (1.585q) or about 1" below the fill hole. Not sure if it was updated to avoid boil over out of the vent or ???

In any event buying 2 quarts of your favorite death stench fluid should be plenty, correct?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:16 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I thought you didn't need friction modifier with RP gear oil...
Old 09-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Your clutch packs will wear out over time at which point you rebuild the rear, but up till then all this is a waste of time and money and you may screw it up making it worse. Changing the fluid will not extent the life of the clutch packs. 99% of all cars on the road never will have the rear fluid changed and the rears are all perfectly fine. Save your time money and don't break your car, avoid this..
Old 09-30-2009, 10:44 PM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
Your clutch packs will wear out over time at which point you rebuild the rear, but up till then all this is a waste of time and money and you may screw it up making it worse. Changing the fluid will not extent the life of the clutch packs. 99% of all cars on the road never will have the rear fluid changed and the rears are all perfectly fine. Save your time money and don't break your car, avoid this..
Great advice, you offer a warranty on that? Figure you could since 99% of them are fine and you'll only need to cover that mystery 1%. I hate posting these types of replies, but that is such bad advice I just had to. Back it up with good factual info and you may just make a point. Start off by disputing what more than a few installers have said about breaking the gears in then changing the fluid. If your warranty is better than their's I'll switch.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:55 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

how effective are the hand pumps in removing the oil from the diff?

can you stick a hose to the bottom ?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:12 AM
ytix
1st Gear Member

I like the FRPP cover:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...e-install.html
Old 10-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scorpio333
Great advice, you offer a warranty on that? Figure you could since 99% of them are fine and you'll only need to cover that mystery 1%. I hate posting these types of replies, but that is such bad advice I just had to. Back it up with good factual info and you may just make a point. Start off by disputing what more than a few installers have said about breaking the gears in then changing the fluid. If your warranty is better than their's I'll switch.
Alright, my family has owned 11 Stangs, 2 being Saleen's and one Saleen Explorer signed by SS. My buddy owned 1 of 2 ever sold Saleen race cars, you know the one with Home Time on the hood, yea that one, caught fire on Speed Vision. He also owned the very rare Cobra R. (was a piece of junk btw) I had at least 20 friends with Stangs. And here is the best one, my brothers do work for the number 1 mustang tuner on the east coast in NJ. Set the world record in the 1/4 mile on street tires, sponsored by BFG, you've seen his car in all those BFG ads in the mags over the last few years.

How many times have any of those cars rears failed? Zero. Changing the rear fluid is unheard of in the automotive world, period. Your clutch packs wear out, you can't stop that from happening, when they do you rebuild it.

It's personal choice, but i'm giving people the other side of the coin here and I say leave your car alone, if you don't believe me, go ask your mechanic.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:32 AM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

how often should the gear oil be changed?

Quick Reply: How To: Change Differential Fluid