MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Help, lost lugnut key :( (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/541197-help-lost-lugnut-key.html)

Toy4Bob 05-30-2009 06:00 AM

The car has been to two shops, they were unable to remove. My son took it in, so I can't remember for sure right now, but one of them said they could get it off no matter what, until they saw it and didn't have a match, and couldn't do something they do for extreme cases because it is so recessed.

Will try a couple more places I guess, and I wonder if anyone might have that twist socket set, or maybe local store has them for rent. Oh, also the cogs / gear part is recessed from the end of the lugnut, so has to be a deeper socket as well.

Thanks everyone for all suggestions, really appreciate!

svastano 05-30-2009 06:08 AM

There is always a heat wrench(torch)! LOL Good luck!

Stoenr 05-30-2009 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Toy4Bob (Post 6241879)
The car has been to two shops, they were unable to remove. My son took it in, so I can't remember for sure right now, but one of them said they could get it off no matter what, until they saw it and didn't have a match, and couldn't do something they do for extreme cases because it is so recessed.

Will try a couple more places I guess, and I wonder if anyone might have that twist socket set, or maybe local store has them for rent. Oh, also the cogs / gear part is recessed from the end of the lugnut, so has to be a deeper socket as well.

Thanks everyone for all suggestions, really appreciate!

I am about 10-15 minutes from the Indiana border, in Illinois off of I-80/I-57.
Says your in Northern Indiana, want to make a trip out? I can give it a shot.

Toy4Bob 05-30-2009 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Stoenr (Post 6241927)
I am about 10-15 minutes from the Indiana border, in Illinois off of I-80/I-57.
Says your in Northern Indiana, want to make a trip out? I can give it a shot.

Will see what shakes out, maybe mike from cruizin can hook me up. I picked a town near your intersection, south holland, I am about 2 hrs from you. Unfortunately I am not from northwest Indiana, more north central LOL.

Stoenr 05-30-2009 07:48 AM

Yeah, that's a little bit of a ride, lol. I am in Valparaiso once in a while where the g/f works, but not all that often.

Toy4Bob 05-30-2009 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by whtcanbrwnd04u (Post 6241684)
+1

Discount tire used those on mine

My son said twist sockets are what they were trying to use at a Tire Barn, but they wouldn't fit into the hole the lugnut is recessed in. Hopefully Cruizin can set me up.

Toy4Bob 05-30-2009 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Stoenr (Post 6241970)
Yeah, that's a little bit of a ride, lol. I am in Valparaiso once in a while where the g/f works, but not all that often.

Off topic here Stoenr, but what and where is the autobahn event you went to in 08?

was checking out you site / pictures

EDIT: hmm, think I found it at the club in Joliot? looks like I no can do, convertible with no roll bar and no intentions to get one. :(

Stoenr 05-30-2009 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Toy4Bob (Post 6242015)
Off topic here Stoenr, but what and where is the autobahn event you went to in 08?

was checking out you site / pictures

Hey, its your thread, you're allowed to stray, lol.
Autobahn Country Club, Joliet, Il. 3.5 miles, 21 turns.
Just basically open track day

howarmat 05-30-2009 09:46 AM

This might sound stupid, but i am pretty sure a ford dealer would have a solution for you.....

pascal 05-30-2009 09:49 AM

Or a Frenchie... :D:D

I was successful at welding a regular bolt to one of those nuts on a friend's car once.
That way we could use a conventional socket to remove everything.
I had enough access to do so with the MIG.

The trick was to protect the rim very good so the metal splatters don't destroy it...