Activating the Shift Light - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #21  
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixN2 View Post
Ah, so comprehension level depends on the number of cylinders under the hood... guess I'll turn into a blathering idiot when I drive my 4 cylinder Jeep. Thanks for your infinate wisdom.
nothing to do with comprehension, all about speed, IMHO you've already demonstrated your intellect

tell you what, put up some time slips or STFU about racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATmynamechanged View Post
X2, if you need a shift light.... racing is not your thing
/\ goes double for you.... put up some timeslips or STFU about racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmax350 View Post
cant anyone take a joke? hahahaha
apparently not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATmynamechanged View Post
no not perfect but I know from 5.8 to 5.85 will make no significant difference, I don't know if your auto or stick but if your bracket racing you would fair better with an auto. Street racing which I favor IMO a stick is best.
with a stick a shift light allows you to be more consistent no doubt, and when you car goes 0-60 in around 3 seconds it certainly helps the 1-2 shift.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #22  
SixN2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stkjock View Post
LMAO
And where, exactly, have I ever said a single thing about racing?

I just don't understand why somebody would be interested in having an OEM-style shift light; its purpose is to tell you when to shift for best fuel milage and in my opinion is quite worthless for anybody that's been driving a stick for more than a couple months.

If it's a redline shift light you're after, you'd be much better off with something brighter and nearer your line of sight than an OEM-style light in the stock gauge cluster.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #23  
Stkjock
Retired Mod

primary purpose of a shift light is for racing... wash the sand out of your crotch. the gt500 light is a programmable one from what I've heard for optimal performance not economy

Last edited by Stkjock; 06-06-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #24  
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 157db View Post
OK, a quick schooling on the modern S197 Mustangs electrical platform.
Its not the same as vehicles of yesteryear. There are wires but all the
information thats traded inbetween modules is on either a hi or low speed
CAN BUSS. Its programming that enables the cluster to illuminate the light
and the PCM that tells the cluster over the CAN BUSS when to light it.
Become a Ford systems programmer or sweet talk a high level Ford tech
to put the programming in place to enable the shift light.
The shift light sensor is the PCM and programming will be needed to enable
it to send the shift light data to the cluster when it needs to be illuminated.

Once again, if it could be done, I would have already done it.

I thought it was whom ever had the smallest weiner dog had the most cyls.
Thanks! That makes complete sense. Now I can safely dump this ridiculous thread!
Old 06-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #25  
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

There are two types of Mustang drivers...those of us who drive the car as our main driver and just enjoy the sportiness of it or the appearance and those who have gone all out to mod the car to drag race it. Why do people who mod and drag their car instantly assume they know more than those of us who don't and why do they assume everyone wants to race? The 18 vs 20 discussion is even worse... The bickering on this page is getting as bad as on the motorcycle forums sometimes...

Back on topic though, a shift light would get on my nerves and I'm glad we don't have them. Seems like they always encourage shifting early.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #26  
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vphokie View Post
There are two types of Mustang drivers...those of us who drive the car as our main driver and just enjoy the sportiness of it or the appearance and those who have gone all out to mod the car to drag race it. Why do people who mod and drag their car instantly assume they know more than those of us who don't and why do they assume everyone wants to race? The 18 vs 20 discussion is even worse... The bickering on this page is getting as bad as on the motorcycle forums sometimes...

Back on topic though, a shift light would get on my nerves and I'm glad we don't have them. Seems like they always encourage shifting early.
well to reply to the modding/racing issue. if you mod your car your generally researching a lot more about how the car works and how different parts work together, so IMHO, those people will have more knowledge of how the cars work. As to the "everyone wants to race" certainly that is not the belief, however this thread's topic was about a shift light and that is inherent IMO to useful racing. A light to shift for daily driving is just silly IMHO.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #27  
WHATmynamechanged
Banned

GFY-self

Quote:
nothing to do with comprehension, all about speed, IMHO you've already demonstrated your intellect

/\ goes double for you.... put up some timeslips or STFU about racing

apparently not....

with a stick a shift light allows you to be more consistent no doubt, and when you car goes 0-60 in around 3 seconds it certainly helps the 1-2 shift.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #28  
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
The gt500 light is a programmable one from what I've heard for optimal performance not economy

There are two lights. One is the up arrow medium yellow color in the lower left and flashes when you get around 3K rpm. The other one is not seen normally, is programable via mycolor buttons for say 6100 rpm is a bright RED "SVT" in the tach guage.

You can see both the lights in this pic of gt500 dash I just got off ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Activating the Shift Light-2097_4.jpg  
Old 06-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #29  
Art161
4th Gear Member

I wonder whether you could rig up an audible indicator. I had a car with a buzzer that sounded when you reached a predetermined speed. It had a needle that you set with a **** to whatever speed you wanted. When the speedometer needle got to the point where the other needle was, it tripped a buzzer. I didn't need to look at the speedometer all that often, because the sound would alert me.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #30  
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

That's a great idea because you don't have time to watch the tack or look down.

Closed Thread