Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does a tuner work?

Old 06-14-2009, 08:26 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Default How does a tuner work?

I've been taking a lot of advice from a lot of you guys since I joined the forum, and you guys have been awesome! I've been posting a couple forums about what mods I want to get first, and I've come to the conclusion that I'd like to buy a Cold Air Intake and a "Power Flash Mustang Custom Tuner". A couple (more) questions though.

How on earth does the tuner work? It apparently works some sort of miracle because this american muscle ad claims it "dramatically improves" torque, horsepower, and....gas mileage?

How the hell...? I know it plugs into your car and you can put in custom tunes...run diagnostics on your vehicle...but the whole concept pretty much confuses the hell out of me. I also believe, because I'm probably pretty gullible about this, that it pairs up well with a cold air intake, which, I believe lets more cold air into the engine and somehow improves performance?

AmericanMuscle.com has an ad for a "Steeda Complete Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake Kit and SCT SF3 Custom Tuner Combo (05-09 GT)" for only about $728.

So if you know that this is a good deal, or could recommend something even better, don't hesitate to let me know.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 AM
2007REDFIREGT
1st Gear Member

Check out WWW.BAMACHIPS.COM for a CAI/tuner combo's with great prices.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 AM
G MOB
1st Gear Member

A tuner works by changing the fuel, timing, rev limit,and shifting maps of your cars engine control computer. You can get tunes for the car stock or custom tunes to work with whatever mods you have installed.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Like all new cars, our cars are computer controlled. The factory settings for our engine limit the amount of air and fuel and delay the timing of our spark. It also calculates the position of our throttle and Rev Limiter. By adding more fuel and more air into the engine, you will get a bigger combustion, giving more power. By advancing the spark, it lets the engine make better use of 91 or 93 octane gas, again giving more power. We can also control our throttle position which will give the feeling of a quicker launch.
Unfortunately, tuning without the proper equipment is very dangerous. You will need a dyno to review changes in a numerical format and you will need tuning software.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Isn't octane gas more expensive?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:52 AM
bamaster

Originally Posted by SilasX93
Isn't octane gas more expensive?
Octane is a rating, like 87 octane or 93 octane, like I use.

Basically, Regular Unleaded is 87 octane and Premium (in Houston) is commonly 93 octane. So yeah, the higher octane is more expensive.

My car is programmed fro 93 octane so I only use Premium pump gas.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Does premium octane last longer and 'end up' being cheaper than unleaded? Because I don't know about using premium gas, it sounds like the numbers add up...
Old 06-14-2009, 10:10 AM
bamaster

Originally Posted by SilasX93
Does premium octane last longer and 'end up' being cheaper than unleaded? Because I don't know about using premium gas, it sounds like the numbers add up...
Whoever told you that... never listen to them again.

No, it does not last longer. You *might* get slighter better mileage by running Premium without a tune, but not likely. And the only reason to use premium gas is when your car is programmed for it. Some cars, like some Mercedes, come that way. But Mustangs are not.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:34 AM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bamaster
Whoever told you that... never listen to them again.

No, it does not last longer. You *might* get slighter better mileage by running Premium without a tune, but not likely. And the only reason to use premium gas is when your car is programmed for it. Some cars, like some Mercedes, come that way. But Mustangs are not.
^ +1

You should look at Bama Chips and Brenspeed's websites for package deals. The "general" consensus is that Bama has a better tune for automatics and Brenspeed has a better tune for manuals. Either one will be an improvement.

I have 93 oct tunes from Brenspeed and Bama. I also have an 87 oct tune in case I want to go on a trip. The higher octane determines the limits of the timing settings etc. The 93 email tune will be a little better than the 87 email tune. But the 87 email tune will be a lot better than the stock tune.

If you are doing this to save money in the long run, I would stick with the stock set-up. You may or may not see a gas mileage improvement. You will feel a response and power impovement.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:07 AM
bamaster

Excellent point, Vaporstang.

I have a custom dyno tune that came with my supercharger. But many of these tuner kits, like Bamachips and Brenspeed, offer multiple tunes. So you can have a tune for 87 octane (regular unleaded) and one for 93 octane (premium unleaded).

I wouldn't switch back and forth very often, but if you're going on a trip putting in the 87 tune makes perfect sense.

And remember, if you're anything like me and when your car is performing better you will likely drive more aggressively. Thereby reducing your mpg even more.

If you're concerned about the price of gas, you shouldn't be asking questions about making the car faster. As a rule, the faster your car is the worse your mpg is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does a tuner work?