Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a Floor Jack and Jackstands

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:46 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Default Using a Floor Jack and Jackstands

Hello,
I'm buying a floor jack and jack stands and was wondering the best way to jack our car up and use the jackstands. The main reason I'm buying them is to obviously make it easier to jack the car up and make it safer to work under. My first project is to take my wheels off to see if Ford left the rotor clips on (my steering wheel shakes at around 60mph). While I have the wheels off, I thought I'd also install my clear corners. I figure it will be easier to do with the wheels off.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Other than using the stock jack when I took my wheels off to check for the clips, I've always used ramps. I consider them safer and easier to use. I have a set of RhinoRamps and they're worth every penny. And they have rubber feet so they don't slide like some others do on finished surfaces.

Check the Owners Manual regarding jacking and support locations. If I recall, the rear axle and the axle pumpkin should NOT be used for jacking.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:45 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

A big +1 to what Nuke said about ramps. I bought ramps initially until I came upon an awesome deal for a 3-ton floor jack and stands ($90 total). Now, I just place the ramps underneath the tires while the car is sitting on stands. If the jack AND stands fail, at least the car falls onto the ramps, and I have a few precious seconds to scurry out from underneath...

Whenever I'm jacking the front up, I always have the jack support at least some of the weight...enough so that the stands aren't going ANYWHERE, but that I at least know that the car's weight is supported by more than just the jack or just the stands.

Jacking up the front end is easy as cake. Note the highest arrow in this picture.

Here's a real pic (below). In addition to placing stands under the front axle, you can also place jack stands under the frame that runs parallel to the rocker panels. Some installs like a short-throw shifter call for the front axle to hang freely.

http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...eImageID=29338

Now as far as jacking up the back end goes...I'm not too sure...

Jacking by the differential is dangerous to the car...but I can't really see any other way of lifting the entire back end up. I figure if you put a block of wood under the diff and immediately get some stands under the rear axle, then maybe...

Anyone have any insights?

Last edited by East87; 06-25-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I always jack the front end up by the k member. Seems to work well. And once I get jack stands under the front end I always leave the floor jack under there with just enough tension that if one of the jack stands fails the floor jack should catch it.

As for the rear... lol controversy! Manual and Ford say it's a no-no to jack by the diff. The reality is that almost everyone does it and with no perceived ill effects. The biggest problem would be if you don't get a block of wood under there and do it from just behind the seam on the diff cover. You don't want to pop the seal.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 AM
5T4NG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
If the jack AND stands fail, at least the car falls onto the ramps, and I have a few precious seconds to scurry out from underneath...
LOL, Yeah i'm always terrified of it falling too. And or rolling off the ramps
Old 06-25-2009, 11:26 AM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

do jack stands fail? what are the chances of this happening?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:52 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Avoid the pumpkin like the owners manual states..
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

i jack the rear by the pumpkin, the front i have to drive up on these stone blocks to get the jack under it
Old 06-25-2009, 12:23 PM
VistaStangGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nmd55
do jack stands fail? what are the chances of this happening?
Yes, I have a set at home that bent. Luckily I didn't have the tires off the car yet and wasn't underneath it. It just kind of fell on its tires. Of course the jack stands are older than I am so that might have something to do with it.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys. I have a set of ramps that I use quite often but in this case, I need to work on the car with the wheels off. I didn't even mention jacking it up by the pumpkin as I've there are way too many opinions on the subject out there. I'm working on the front anyway...

Quick Reply: Using a Floor Jack and Jackstands