Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iphone+Internet Radio=Farewell Satellite radio

Old 06-29-2009, 06:53 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

I just went through this exact same thing! I have 3 Sirius radios, which cost a fortune. I recently bought a Blackberry Storm, have Pandora uploaded on it and it's as good if not better than a paid service. When a rep. called me from Sirius radio to ask my input in regards to my subscription cancellation, I simply told them that their service is obsolete!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:19 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

SO I can get my NFL team play and NASCAR with this Pandora or Shazamm???
Old 06-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

Wilkinda, what are you doing with your 05 when your 2010 comes in?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I only have sirius XM until my free trial runs out. it sounds absolutely horrible, pandora on my iphone sounds 10 times better. in fact all the streaming apps on my iphone sound better than the satellite radio does.

between the cost and the company dicking people around I'll never give them a dime. you've got people out there with lifetime memberships who can't use their new iphone app without paying extra and it doesn't include all the channels. that's a dick move on the company's part. between the cost and the horrible quality I'll never pay for the service.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:27 PM
teejay76
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
I only have sirius XM until my free trial runs out. it sounds absolutely horrible, pandora on my iphone sounds 10 times better. in fact all the streaming apps on my iphone sound better than the satellite radio does.

between the cost and the company dicking people around I'll never give them a dime. you've got people out there with lifetime memberships who can't use their new iphone app without paying extra and it doesn't include all the channels. that's a dick move on the company's part. between the cost and the horrible quality I'll never pay for the service.
I have the Sirius tuner hardwired into my headunit and the sound quality is excellent. My only dislikes about satellite radio were the not too often losing reception under freeway underpasses and the occasional cloudy day.

I guess what I was originally trying to say was if I started all over and needed to make a decision on further upgrading my listening experience in the Stang, here are my options...
  • Iphone : 16G 3G Iphone $ 149.00 & Internet service $ 30.00/month

The monthly charge for the internet on the Iphone is more than double the price of Sirius, but I can only listen to Sirius in my car and 1 computer of my choice. I can take the Iphone anywhere and listen to Pandora, or whatever else I chose to in my Stang or @ the gym etc.

I believe you could even use the Shaker auxiliary port to listen to the Iphone internet radio. It works perfect on my girlfriends 2009 Mazda 6 auxiliary port.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:49 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I'm in the audio industry and the quality of Sirius XM is not good all, a 128kbps MP3 blows away satellite radio, and 128 isn't all that great. I usually make my MP3's 192kbps or higher and then it's not too bad.

XM used to be good back in the day, not CD quality but good enough. the problem is they've added hundreds of channels and they only have the same bandwidth they started with so channels had to be compressed to much lower than they were originally. a handful of channels aren't compressed as much and sound better but it's still not great.

I can hear the audio compression on just about every channel, especially on the highs. little to cymbals on the rocks stations and you'll hear the compression, it's sounds swirly and cut off. unless you think it sounds good, then don't listen close, I don't want to spoil it for you the talk and comedy stations are compressed even more, the people sound all robotic.

bottom line, pandora sounds better and is free. a couple other streaming iphone apps are free and sound better too. so between all the free apps, my pre-loaded MP3's on my iPhone, and the stereo input jack on the shaker 500 system, I'm not renewing Sirius.

for me to get it the quality would have to be better and the cost of the service be cheaper. my last car used XM for live traffic and weather with satellite and doppler radar, that was awesome, but they charge too much for that and I only used it while it was free.

yeah the iphone charges you for the internet but I have that all the time anyway and it doesn't need line of sight to get it's signal like satellite does. look at it the other way and sirius is $13 a month and you only get music. iphone internet is $30 a month and you get tons more than just music. that $139 and $13 a month for your sirius player is most likely on top of your cell phone since everyone has a cell phone so you're not saving as much. plus why carry one more thing around when you don't have to. you can also get pandora on windows mobile phones and blackberrys where you can get the internet cheaper than on the iphone so if you only want the phone for pandora that's the way to go.

Last edited by candymanjl; 07-01-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

i just installed a iva 505 and guess what -- not compatible with i-phone. that pisses me off.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM
teejay76
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
I'm in the audio industry and the quality of Sirius XM is not good all, a 128kbps MP3 blows away satellite radio, and 128 isn't all that great. I usually make my MP3's 192kbps or higher and then it's not too bad.

XM used to be good back in the day, not CD quality but good enough. the problem is they've added hundreds of channels and they only have the same bandwidth they started with so channels had to be compressed to much lower than they were originally. a handful of channels aren't compressed as much and sound better but it's still not great.

I can hear the audio compression on just about every channel, especially on the highs. little to cymbals on the rocks stations and you'll hear the compression, it's sounds swirly and cut off. unless you think it sounds good, then don't listen close, I don't want to spoil it for you the talk and comedy stations are compressed even more, the people sound all robotic.

bottom line, pandora sounds better and is free. a couple other streaming iphone apps are free and sound better too. so between all the free apps, my pre-loaded MP3's on my iPhone, and the stereo input jack on the shaker 500 system, I'm not renewing Sirius.

for me to get it the quality would have to be better and the cost of the service be cheaper. my last car used XM for live traffic and weather with satellite and doppler radar, that was awesome, but they charge too much for that and I only used it while it was free.

yeah the iphone charges you for the internet but I have that all the time anyway and it doesn't need line of sight to get it's signal like satellite does. look at it the other way and sirius is $13 a month and you only get music. iphone internet is $30 a month and you get tons more than just music. that $139 and $13 a month for your sirius player is most likely on top of your cell phone since everyone has a cell phone so you're not saving as much. plus why carry one more thing around when you don't have to. you can also get pandora on windows mobile phones and blackberrys where you can get the internet cheaper than on the iphone so if you only want the phone for pandora that's the way to go.
Totally agree with you 100% Candymanjl, just wish I'd known this sooner since I've been a subscriber to Sirius for the past few years and recently purchased the Iphone because of the price drop last month.

It's good to know the real difference in sound quality between the two as well. Never really noticed it until now, maybe because I haven't been listening much to Sirius as of late.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:28 PM
lespah80
1st Gear Member

How hard is it to install sirius onto an 06 shaker1000, anyone know?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 PM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

meeeTOOOO! iphone FTW! pandora is the shizzznit!

Last edited by 06elnr; 07-02-2009 at 07:12 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Iphone+Internet Radio=Farewell Satellite radio