MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Just my little sleeper - 12.79 @ 113.65mph - street tires (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/549653-just-my-little-sleeper-12-79-113-65mph-street-tires.html)

05redfirepearlGT 07-10-2009 11:18 PM

Just my little sleeper - 12.79 @ 113.65mph - street tires

The 05 went to the track tonight for test and tune for the first time since the Saleen upgrade (no the wife still does not know about the Saleen upgrade!). Now keep in mind here all of you hard core racers with deep pockets that this is a daily driver currently that still has some ways to go with future mods in mind. Needs a little suspension work and assuredly an upgrade on the clutch to a stage 2 package and a drive shaft, not to mention some sticky tires, and a line lock device.

I made my first pass, 12.80 @ 112.3mph. I could smell a faint hint of clutch so I parked the car to cool off for a while. One of the spectator/drivers that was watching walks over and says, "Man I told my brother when you pulled up to the line, 'There goes another low 14 second S197 GT.', my mouth dropped when you laid the hammer to it midway through second, you took off like a rocket. I couldn't believe the time. Now that's a nice little sleeper."

What a compliment. This is why I love keeping the badges and stickers low key if on the car at all. Nothing like a crowd shocker to make conversation!!!

My second a final pass was a 12.79 @ 113.65mph. The light scent of clutch lingering again, tells me I need a stage 2 clutch setup. A good night for a guy running on street tires on a track known for not being the tightest track on earth.

TorchRed '03 07-10-2009 11:27 PM

Good job on the pass! I too am into the sleeper thing. The way I see it, having a sleeper is great for two reason's: 1.) The surprise on someone's face who thinks you are stock as you fly past them. 2.) Doesn't scream, "I think I'm a badass!" and invite every person with a superior car to embarrass you on a daily basis.

tx_zstang 07-10-2009 11:47 PM

It's cool to be a sleeper :)
I get compliments like that at the track, too, especially being a V6.

mrtstang 07-10-2009 11:52 PM

Yeah, i like the sleeper approach! That's how i have mine setup. My nitrous is all tucked away, and the badges are all stock. No suggestive license plate either!

It's priceless when you surprise an ocassional corvette, cobra, saleen, etc. Everyone expects those cars to be fast! With a mustang gt, you really don't know what to expect!

deekum1627 07-11-2009 12:10 AM

congrats man

Z06 Killer 07-11-2009 03:19 AM

put some drag radials and a good clutch in and really show them what a sleeper is when you dip into 11's!

mygt500 07-11-2009 05:08 AM

congrats OP

bbacon05 07-11-2009 08:02 AM

Great job man, I too like the sleeper/stock look as well

05redfirepearlGT 07-11-2009 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by TorchRed '03 (Post 6339357)
Good job on the pass! I too am into the sleeper thing. The way I see it, having a sleeper is great for two reason's: 1.) The surprise on someone's face who thinks you are stock as you fly past them. 2.) Doesn't scream, "I think I'm a badass!" and invite every person with a superior car to embarrass you on a daily basis.

You hit the nail on the head. To take this a step further, a little humility goes a long, long way. I appreciate people whether they are in the sleeper thing or the bad @$$ look even more when they are meek about their car's setup, how it runs, etc., and they are approachable on a social level as well. It all adds up to a much more enjoyable experience for everyone on and off the race track, at cruise ins, and car shows. I bust my hump to be a good listener to others when I am at one of these events. I go the extra mile to compliment their ride, pay compliment to them, and remind them that we are all here because of our passion for cars and our passion for racing. Whether it be a guy/gal in a sponsored 8 second dragster or some kid in mom's 22 second minivan, it's all about the fun and the passion we share. Winning or low ET's are all great, BUT it means nothing if the person doing it has the personality of a spoiled rich, self centered, fish.

Thanks for the compliments each and every one. I hope that we can all have the experience one day of breaking the next barrier, whatever it may be.

Simon1 07-11-2009 09:44 AM

The best sleeper mustang on this site is Sactown. He runs 11.9s at 119 and has the stock wheels, tires and exhaust on the car. No stickers, gauges to be seen. It's great.

OP, you can run 12.0 for sure if drive it right with some DR's.

Good runs.