Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just my little sleeper - 12.79 @ 113.65mph - street tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 PM
05redfirepearlGT
1st Gear Member

Default Just my little sleeper - 12.79 @ 113.65mph - street tires

The 05 went to the track tonight for test and tune for the first time since the Saleen upgrade (no the wife still does not know about the Saleen upgrade!). Now keep in mind here all of you hard core racers with deep pockets that this is a daily driver currently that still has some ways to go with future mods in mind. Needs a little suspension work and assuredly an upgrade on the clutch to a stage 2 package and a drive shaft, not to mention some sticky tires, and a line lock device.

I made my first pass, 12.80 @ 112.3mph. I could smell a faint hint of clutch so I parked the car to cool off for a while. One of the spectator/drivers that was watching walks over and says, "Man I told my brother when you pulled up to the line, 'There goes another low 14 second S197 GT.', my mouth dropped when you laid the hammer to it midway through second, you took off like a rocket. I couldn't believe the time. Now that's a nice little sleeper."

What a compliment. This is why I love keeping the badges and stickers low key if on the car at all. Nothing like a crowd shocker to make conversation!!!

My second a final pass was a 12.79 @ 113.65mph. The light scent of clutch lingering again, tells me I need a stage 2 clutch setup. A good night for a guy running on street tires on a track known for not being the tightest track on earth.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 PM
TorchRed '03
1st Gear Member

Good job on the pass! I too am into the sleeper thing. The way I see it, having a sleeper is great for two reason's: 1.) The surprise on someone's face who thinks you are stock as you fly past them. 2.) Doesn't scream, "I think I'm a badass!" and invite every person with a superior car to embarrass you on a daily basis.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:47 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

It's cool to be a sleeper
I get compliments like that at the track, too, especially being a V6.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:52 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Yeah, i like the sleeper approach! That's how i have mine setup. My nitrous is all tucked away, and the badges are all stock. No suggestive license plate either!

It's priceless when you surprise an ocassional corvette, cobra, saleen, etc. Everyone expects those cars to be fast! With a mustang gt, you really don't know what to expect!

Last edited by mrtstang; 07-10-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:10 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

congrats man
Old 07-11-2009, 03:19 AM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

put some drag radials and a good clutch in and really show them what a sleeper is when you dip into 11's!
Old 07-11-2009, 05:08 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

congrats OP
Old 07-11-2009, 08:02 AM
bbacon05
1st Gear Member

Great job man, I too like the sleeper/stock look as well
Old 07-11-2009, 08:40 AM
05redfirepearlGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TorchRed '03
Good job on the pass! I too am into the sleeper thing. The way I see it, having a sleeper is great for two reason's: 1.) The surprise on someone's face who thinks you are stock as you fly past them. 2.) Doesn't scream, "I think I'm a badass!" and invite every person with a superior car to embarrass you on a daily basis.
You hit the nail on the head. To take this a step further, a little humility goes a long, long way. I appreciate people whether they are in the sleeper thing or the bad @$$ look even more when they are meek about their car's setup, how it runs, etc., and they are approachable on a social level as well. It all adds up to a much more enjoyable experience for everyone on and off the race track, at cruise ins, and car shows. I bust my hump to be a good listener to others when I am at one of these events. I go the extra mile to compliment their ride, pay compliment to them, and remind them that we are all here because of our passion for cars and our passion for racing. Whether it be a guy/gal in a sponsored 8 second dragster or some kid in mom's 22 second minivan, it's all about the fun and the passion we share. Winning or low ET's are all great, BUT it means nothing if the person doing it has the personality of a spoiled rich, self centered, fish.

Thanks for the compliments each and every one. I hope that we can all have the experience one day of breaking the next barrier, whatever it may be.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

The best sleeper mustang on this site is Sactown. He runs 11.9s at 119 and has the stock wheels, tires and exhaust on the car. No stickers, gauges to be seen. It's great.

OP, you can run 12.0 for sure if drive it right with some DR's.

Good runs.

Quick Reply: Just my little sleeper - 12.79 @ 113.65mph - street tires