Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprint Booster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
I didnt say it messed with the tune. I said you could just get a twitchy throttle from a tune. This would give you basically the same results in terms of time before reaching WOT. With a tune, you also get more timing which gives you more power when running higher octanes, so its dumb to buy that thing he posted.
I don't think you understand how reducing the delay between throtle input and engine input is helpful. Which was what I was criticizing.

Having more direct control over the throtle gives you more direct control over the car. It's exactaly like the difference between your mouse cursor working at normal speed, versus being delayed by .4 seconds for every input you give it.

On a drag strip this is an important modification for consistency, it's not about being able to get to WOT faster, it's about being able to get there better with more control over when it happens instead of having to tune your brain .4 seconds in advance during a shift or a launch. It's even more useful the circuit track.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I see how this is no different than recalibrating the throttle response in a tune.

A quote from sprint booster's website:

How It Works

Sprint Booster modifies the signal between the accelerator pedal module and the electronic throttle body. This modified signal forces the throttle body to open 'more' than the stock signal at a given pedal position. In effect, the idle-to-full-throttle pedal travel is reduced. This makes your car 'feel' more powerful because a given pedal input produces greater throttle opening. This is especially evident in the low to mid rpm range where most cars spend their time on the street.
It doesn't state that it decreases electrical signal transfer time, only that it takes less pedal movement to tell the ECU you are at WOT, basically what recalibrating throttle response in a tune does.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

"And when this happens, a delay occurs. Get rid of that delay, and get instant response with the Sprint Booster module for your Mustang. We know it sounds amazing, and it is. Even our ASE Cert. Tech was impressed."

"sprint booster made the cars throttle respond half a second to one second quicker."

Furthermore they have a graph that clearly shows there is a .06 second decrease in response time delay which I just noticed.

I'm pretty good at reading tech information I think.

Unfortunatly based on the graph I just saw this is actually significantly less than. ".5 seconds to one second" which seems to be some idiots oppinion.

If the product actually performed as well as the idiot's oppinion it would be fantastic, unfortunatly this product barely does anything whatsoever. It would only be useful to profesional mustang race car drivers.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:54 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

instead of spending all that money for something useless such as that, why not just do the "throtle pedal mod"? i am talking about the thing where you take apart the pedal and bend the contact fingers slightly to get rid of the physical dead space in the pedal. there is no tune or device you can plug in or install that will cure the 1/2" of dead space in the pedal. tunes will make it appear to be better, but in reality they just "reprogram" (for lack of a better term) the way the ecu interprates the values it sees from the pedal.

im not sure where i saw it but somebody made a good tutorial about the gas pedal mod i am refering to.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:17 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Someone else made a spacer which is a lot less work and less risky than bending contacts.

I want a throttle cable mod.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:51 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Still not understanding how this thing is any different than calibrating throttle in a tune. Can someone explain to me how the delay in a new tune cannot be changed? The only thing that graph tells you is that you have to push the throttle down a 1/4 of the way to start getting more than .2 volts of output from the ECU on the stock calibration and that you have to push it with less travel to get more than .2 volts of output from the ECU. Same thing as recalibrating it in a tune. Pedal travel vs throttle body opening. The only reason time is on the graph is because it takes time to push the pedal down, and it happens to show that on a stock calibration, that you will have to push the pedal down before the ECU will start to give more output. Like jahudso said, same exact result can be achieved with recalibrating in a tune.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
Still not understanding how this thing is any different than calibrating throttle in a tune. Can someone explain to me how the delay in a new tune cannot be changed? The only thing that graph tells you is that you have to push the throttle down a 1/4 of the way to start getting more than .2 volts of output from the ECU on the stock calibration and that you have to push it with less travel to get more than .2 volts of output from the ECU. Same thing as recalibrating it in a tune. Pedal travel vs throttle body opening. The only reason time is on the graph is because it takes time to push the pedal down, and it happens to show that on a stock calibration, that you will have to push the pedal down before the ECU will start to give more output. Like jahudso said, same exact result can be achieved with recalibrating in a tune.
The product is physical component that replaces your throttle pedal wiring. The product is made in italy.

It's product description is poorly translated and filled with lies and missinformation.

it claims to bypass the computer, it does not. It just plugs into the back of the throttle pedal and most likely boost the voltage so that the throttle sensor picks it up earlier. The sensor has a dead zone for safety most likely, this is where the main gain is and where the delay would stem from.

An anonymous opinion claims it boosts response time by a second, it does not, it only boosts it by .09 seconds in the lower RPM range.

It's claimed an ASE certified tech was impressed by it, this is most likely a lie.

Bottom line:

Several people in this thread misunderstood and were ignorant to the bold claims of the false advertising of this product.

Fortunately their ignorant conclusions were correct due to a mistranslation from Italian or blatant false advertising.

This kind of stuff makes me trust manufacturers a bit less. Makes me a bit sad.

Last edited by Legion5; 07-14-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:30 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The only thing something like this could possibly do is tell the computer (by increasing voltage) that the peddle is pushed down a little more than it actually is. So if you're really pushing it down 10% this thing would increase the voltage such that the computer sees 12% or whatever. Those figures are just for the sake of discussion not exactly what this does as I have no idea how much it changes the voltage.

So what's going to happen is you'll now have a dead spot at the end of the throttle movement where completely to the floor is no different than slightly above the floor since you got to WOT sooner than normal.

You're better off with a tune that properly maps peddle position with throttle body blade position similar as possible as a cable would do (which stock doesn't always do) and maybe adding a little spacer to the peddle so the initial few mm of dead spot is gone (or do that bending contact procedure which I would be afraid of doing since they're so fragile).
Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
instead of sending the the throttle signal to the computer where it logged and then sent to the TB, it sends the signal DIRECTLY to the throttle body and just wires things to the actual pedal.

it claims to bypass the computer, it does not.

What? This is contradicting and brings me to a quote I heard earlier:

I love how people are so sure of something when they are not only wrong but they don't understand what they are talking about.

Several people in this thread misunderstood and were ignorant to the bold claims of the false advertising of this product.

That's why the OP asked about the product, not wrong with humbly asking about something you are unsure of.

It's product description is poorly translated

Please tell me you speak Italian.

I don’t like getting into interweb arguments, but after you made this comment;

Recalibrating the throttle response is different from the throttle DELAY. I love how people are so sure of something when they are not only wrong but they don't understand what they are talking about.

which you were being a total d^ck to someone for no reason, I had to chime in. Lesson learned: If you think someone made a stupid bold headed comment, you don’t have to directly put them down to make them look like an idiot, they will do it to themselves.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Someone else made a spacer which is a lot less work and less risky than bending contacts.

I want a throttle cable mod.

Amen! Me too.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster?