Idle issue - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Idle issue

Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Clutch in and come to a stop. Shift into 1st gear while waiting for the light. No need to shift into neutral. I've driven manual for over 30 years and only shifted into neutral to coast if my left foot itched or my sock needed to be pulled up.
You've been keeping your foot on the clutch for 30yrs???

The proper way IS to leave the car in nuetral. By leaving the clutch to the floor all you're doing is wearing the clutches life away. There's no reason not to let the car sit in light at neutral.

......you must go through a lot of clutches LOL
Old 07-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Actually, I've only replaced 1 clutch on an SUV after 120,000 miles of towing. That vehicle had 205,000 miles on it when I sold it to a friend. I think he said he replaced the clutch at about 300,000 miles. My other vehicle with manual was sold after 180,000 miles and I never had to replace the clutch in that car.

I DO tend to downshift half the time, otherwise I coast until engine RPM's are about 1800, THEN I'm on the clutch which is usually pretty close to being at a stop. Since I've driven my manuals very little in city traffic, it hasn't been a problem. I figure I'm on the clutch nearly half as much as if I clutched to put her in neutral and again to put her in gear.

To the OP, let us know what's causing the high idle when you find the smoking gun. Seems this is an issue for a few.

Last edited by Nuke; 07-23-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:33 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Actually, I've only replaced 1 clutch on an SUV after 120,000 miles of towing. That vehicle had 205,000 miles on it when I sold it to a friend. I think he said he replaced the clutch at about 300,000 miles. My other vehicle with manual was sold after 180,000 miles and I never had to replace the clutch in that car.

I DO tend to downshift half the time, otherwise I coast until engine RPM's are about 1800, THEN I'm on the clutch which is usually pretty close to being at a stop. Since I've driven my manuals very little in city traffic, it hasn't been a problem. I figure I'm on the clutch nearly half as much as if I clutched to put her in neutral and again to put her in gear.

To the OP, let us know what's causing the high idle when you find the smoking gun. Seems this is an issue for a few.
Some clutches are built tough! The highway milage I guess is the reason you got such great life out of them.

I guess, everyone can drive how they would like I'm just simply stating that keeping the clutch in during stop lights will wear the clutch out faster than if you didnt keep it in. You're correct this is exacerbated by a lot of city driving! It also depends on the car.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:35 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Just so you know......Not trying to knock you Nuke, just stating a fact. No hard feelings
Old 07-23-2009, 02:00 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a loose vacuum hose.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I have an 05, V6 (Manual) too and am experiencing the same issue over 6 months now. Once I installed the CAI it lessened a little, however it still idles high when I come to a stop. I normally hit the gas pedal and the idle goes back down to normal. If anyone knows what the cause is, let us know. =-)
Old 07-24-2009, 12:45 PM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

Try to clear the computer by disconnecting the battery like the others have stated or clear w/ tuner....

Then in your manual check under the battery section where it states "RELEARN IDLE"

1- make sure your car is cold
2-start the car (do not touch anything) leave it sit till at operating temp.
3- after 1 min of the car at running temp turn on your A/C
4- let A/C run for 1 min
5-then drive normal for 10 min at low speeds w/o A/C on

This worked for me, good luck!!

Plus check the TB and clean out good!! it might look fine, but these TB's are VERY touchy as stated in other posts.

Good luck, Hope this can help!
Old 07-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT View Post
Just so you know......Not trying to knock you Nuke, just stating a fact. No hard feelings
Absolutely none taken. Were simply here for fact-finding and opinions.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:33 AM
mtbiker

Originally Posted by thewarmachine View Post
Sounds like a loose vacuum hose.
im going to check into this. is there anything to spray on them to check for a leak?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Any resolution????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle issue

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.