Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:30 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Default Battery Relocation?

I know to some this may seem like a not so great mod but I want To lighten up the front and move my coolant overflow tank.

I'll be moving my coolant overflow tank to the batterys old location. I'll be relocating the battery into the truck but where is the best spot. I'm wondering if anyone has any pics of where they placed thier battery?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I haven't heard of anyone moving the battery to the trunk but I'd be curious how you run the cables back forward and if you need to go to an even heavier wire gauge due to the additional lengths. Even if you keep the same gauge cable you'll be adding weight just for all the additional copper.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

I had a red top in the trunk. The cabling shorted out and left me stuck witha $300 bill to tow my car home. I decided to install a lightweight Braille battery instead back up front it only weighs 17 lbs. I like being able to see where the cable's are being run and figure there was probably 5 lbs. of cable running to the battery in the trunk anyway.

I could show you where I mounted it but I think it is funnier to show where it ended up getting me.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:37 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hootna
I had a red top in the trunk. The cabling shorted out and left me stuck witha $300 bill to tow my car home. I decided to install a lightweight Braille battery instead back up front it only weighs 17 lbs. I like being able to see where the cable's are being run and figure there was probably 5 lbs. of cable running to the battery in the trunk anyway.

I could show you where I mounted it but I think it is funnier to show where it ended up getting me.

Let me ask you where did you run your cables...
Old 07-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

That is probably the problem. I didnt run the cables had the shop do it for me. I initially noticed that the cable exiting the trunk area did not go through a grommet and was even thinking that this could be an issue. My cables are actually still in the car I have not ripped them out yet. I am going to take it back to the shop and have them take a look at their handy work. The battery was in perfect condition as I checked it at Autozone and still had over 1,000 cranking amps at the ready.

I just dont think it is really necessary, I did it to move weight around but after ripping out my spare tire and all of the carpeting etc. in the rear I probably dropped a good 50 lbs. plus out of the trunk. Plus that Braille battery is frickin small, you could mount it to the firewall next to where the stock battery was installed and still have room to fit whatever you want in the stock battery tray area. Plus the Braille battery cranks my car up no problem even after sitting for weeks.

http://www.braillebattery.com/index....tteries/b2317/
Old 07-27-2009, 12:07 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

I hear what you saying, perhaps is was the fact that the shop did not use a grommet.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loots06
I know to some this may seem like a not so great mod but I want To lighten up the front and move my coolant overflow tank.

I'll be moving my coolant overflow tank to the batterys old location. I'll be relocating the battery into the truck but where is the best spot. I'm wondering if anyone has any pics of where they placed thier battery?

Thanks
Other than weight transfer why are you moving the battery to the trunk? You could get a steeda raditor mount or a light weight k-member instead.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

K-member will be down the road....although I dont know if I'm gonna like the the extra vibration..

I just want to lighten up the front end..
Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loots06
K-member will be down the road....although I dont know if I'm gonna like the the extra vibration..

I just want to lighten up the front end..
Just an FYI if you relocate the battery to the trunk and plan on going to the track you will need to put a kill switch on the outside of the car.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sactown
Just an FYI if you relocate the battery to the trunk and plan on going to the track you will need to put a kill switch on the outside of the car.
+1, don't want to deal with that for the minor weight transfer

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation?