Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:53 PM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Default battery question

I have had no problems with the battery starting the car, got about 45k on the factory battery, however the last 2 times I have gave her a bath I have had to jump her off after listening to the radio while washing her. A quick jump and she cranks right up.
I do have the Shaker 500.
Do you think its just time for a replacement battery or could it be another issue. I know if I take it somewhere to get the battery tested they will say I need a new one, so I was just wanting some unbiased opinions.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

45K yeah I'd change it, I'm at 16500 and just changed mine becasue it sprung a leak, terminals were all corroded, and instead of going to the dealer for one I just went to, you hate to say it Walmart, they actually have good batteries that are made by the same company that make Optimas (last i heard), plus they have a larger one that has about 100 more CCA then stock but fits in no problem for 70 bux after core.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There is a rash of bad OEM MotorCrap batteries. Mileage has nothing to do with it. I drive a lot of highway and a good percentage of my batteries have lasted beyond 6 years and 150,000 miles. If yours won't crank after listening to the Shaker, I'd definitely have it load tested with the expectation of buying a new one soon.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:53 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

If the battery is more than 3 yrs old, just get a new one. If less than 3, take it to the dealer for replacement.
Mine did a similar thing until one time it sat for a week, then that killed it. That was after 3 1/2 years, 35K miles.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I got a replacement under warranty, but the car was less than 3 years old and had less than 36k miles on it. With 45k miles, you are not within the 3/36k bumper to bumper warranty. I doubt that the dealer will give you a replacement at no cost.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:07 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Mine lasted a 1.5 years so I just went with an optima red top. Have them in my other cars and love them.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Well thats about what I expected to hear, thanks guys. Just hate to hear it from a service tech, they always seam to be trying to get in my pockets.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TEXASGT/CS
I have had no problems with the battery starting the car, got about 45k on the factory battery, however the last 2 times I have gave her a bath I have had to jump her off after listening to the radio while washing her. A quick jump and she cranks right up.
I do have the Shaker 500.
Do you think its just time for a replacement battery or could it be another issue. I know if I take it somewhere to get the battery tested they will say I need a new one, so I was just wanting some unbiased opinions.
My 2006 was a battery nightmare with the Shaker system. It would drain the battery after sitting for any period of time over 4 days. Once I replaced the Shaker system with an Alpine unit, I had no problems whatsoever. The battery lasted for 3 years, and I replaced it before it left me stranded with an Optima Red Top.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:22 AM
SatinSilverStang
2nd Gear Member

whats the P/N on the redtop that fit? (and your CCA)
Old 08-05-2009, 12:58 PM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
My 2006 was a battery nightmare with the Shaker system. It would drain the battery after sitting for any period of time over 4 days. Once I replaced the Shaker system with an Alpine unit, I had no problems whatsoever. The battery lasted for 3 years, and I replaced it before it left me stranded with an Optima Red Top.
I have never had it drain down on me when left sitting. I have left it at the airport for a week at a time. This is the only real issue that I have had.

+1 on the red top part number.

Quick Reply: battery question